The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Any one know where to get 5 Speed trannies from

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar

Any one know where to get 5 Speed trannies from

<span style='color:blue'>Well ,folks it looks like the "Ice Man commeth." I think my trnnies about to go out..... Again!!. This happened to me back in september 2000, went to aamco and got it rebuilt, but it never acted the same. It would always rev between first and second before going into second, and shift out of first too soon. Guess they didn't set the vacuume right. Today my car didn't want to shift out of second or third, when i started from a stop it was stuck in one of the two gears i was going down the highway at about 4000+ rpms and 65 mph.

But any how , i was wondering what the prices on a 5 speed tranny was and how to go about getting one. I think i want to go with the GST engine next yaer and was hopefully going to put it off till then, but i may have to drop the cash for the tranny before winter would the gst 5 speed work or would any mitsu 5 speed work. i think i read about tranny swapping on the dsm websight, but i can't remember that link. Would i also have to look into a different set of gauges for the 5 speed tranny or would the standard G gauges work</span>

Any 4g Tranny will work,

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    <span style='color:blue'>That's 4g tranny 5 speed for eclipse or just mitsubishi. will it also work for the 4g63t ( ? ) gst turbo engine</span>

all eclipse/galant tranny will fit ur galant, 4g63, 63t, 64, or whatever

GalantSpeed
    how hard is it to convert from auto to manual tranny, i know you have to install the clutch pedal, and the shifter, is there anywhere you can get an "converting and install a tranny for dummies" ?

TGC Regular
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kimya)</div><div class='quotemain'>I thought the only six speed tranny Honduh had was on the S2000! Maybe I am wrong, I hate hondus so I dont know much about em. I also wondered what tranny would fit because it looks like I am gonna have to get another 7g and all the manual cars have over 100k miles! So I will probably get another automatic and convert it when I get out to cali</div>

I agree, The 99-00 Si had a 5 speed transmission. I htink the guy who says he has a 6 speed Si had to be bullshitting you. Unless he specially made a 6 speed Si transmission
    Chris
    2004 Mazda 3i; bought 7/2/04
    98 Galant ES; Sold 6/30/04

Kain
    Hmm, auto to 5 speed is not fun. There is quite a bit of fabrication needed. A lift makes things quite a bit easier. (the Automatic transmission in the Galant is right at about 100 lbs and difficult to work with if you're lying under the car) If you really want a 5 speed, you might be better off just going and buying a 5 speed Galant. It's doable, but if you don't know what you're doing you will regret it, and even if you have know-how and proper tools the job will be stressful. You're looking at a materials cost of around $800 and about double that in labor to have it professionally done. As well as the 3-5 days down time (longer if you do it yourself) and possible broken parts. Not to mention the car may not "feel" right afterward. If you must convert to 5 speed by all means do it, but economically it'd likely be cheaper to just get a whole new car. (FYI, there is a '96 5 speed Galant at the used car dealer near my house in good shape for $3200).

yeah thats true, but with great people come great tutorials, here is the one i used to convert my car

http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/autotomanual.html