The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2001 Galant Overheating on idle

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

2001 Galant Overheating on idle

As the topic says, it seems to overheat on idle and cool down when I rev the engine. Sitting at red lights is an issue now.

So far I have checked the coolant level which is full, checked the fans both of which run. I'm thinking it's the temperature gauge but I'm not sure.

There is a slight coolant leak on one of the lower hoses behind the engine if it helps. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Alright it seems the overheating was caused by a few issues.

1. The fans only kicked in with A/C on which led to overheating at idle. I still need to fix this.

2. That pipe I mentioned where the coolant was leaking had a slight air bubble next to the electric thermostat.

3. Same pipe had a huge crack around the O-Ring seal. Which caused enough of a leak where I was almost out of coolant. I'm currently in the process of replacing it.

4. One of the bolts holding the coolant thermostat in may leak oil. I can't confirm that though as there is no seepage at the moment.

All of this led to an overheating situation which I'm currently fixing.

This is the replacement pipe I found at the local junkyard for $20. Picked up O-Rings at AutoZone.

Any update about your repairing the overheating?

Have you fixed it?
    Isn't there any relation with the alternator since the problem get solved when you rev the engine?