The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: POS Electrical System 8g3.0

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

POS Electrical System 8g3.0

My battery and brake check lights flicker when I push the accelerator, and my headlights dim when ever the check lights come on. Also, my subwoofer keeps shutting off whenever it hits too hard. I have changed my battery, alternator and terminal fuse. Please help. . .

Did you try completley disconnecting the power to the amplifier?

Based on the initial symptoms, it sounds like the engine is *almost* (but not quite) dying sometimes. That'll make the battery/oil/etc. lights flicker when it shudders. When that happens, the alternator loses power, the lights dim, etc.

I think the subwoofer dying is a symptom, not a cause. If it's drawing a lot of power when the engine stutters, the capacitor (if you have one) will drain and there isn't enough power to run the amp, so your sound will cut out.

I'd start under the hood. Does it normally dim out/flicker the lights when you drop down to idle (like when coming to a stop)? Or will it happen when you're driving at speed with the gas pedal down?
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

My brake and battery light was flickering randomly while I was driving. No other symptoms. I looked online and saw that it means the alternator is going bad. Sure enough, a few weeks later car wouldn't start. Got tester tool that plugs into the cig lighter, and it said to replace my alternator. Replaced the alternator and everything is fine now.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Definitely get the alternator checked. If you've already changed it, make sure the cables hooked to it aren't corroded and are tightened down.
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD