The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2000 galant randomly dies while driving !! HELP !!!

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

Icon8 2000 galant randomly dies while driving !! HELP !!!

random shut off of my galant? my 2000 Galant, 2.4, 161,000 miles. starting doing the same thing and after replacing the water pump, timing belt, cam sensor(twice) and crank sensor( twice) my mechanic still can't fix it after 6 weeks in the shop. he tried a new (used) ecu but he can't get that to work. im at a loss here, randomly dies while driving and takes a few minutes after sitting to start up. no codes. I really need some help here.

Have you checked the fuel pump yet? The sitting/refusing to start for no reason/dying randomly symptoms seem like that might be your culprit.

Pull up the rear seat and unscrew the cover in the middle. The pump is right under there. Next time it refuses to start, turn the key to "on" but don't start the engine. Listen to see if the pump is running to prime the fuel system. Also inspect the wires/contacts to see if it looks like they're overheating or corroded.

Is the check engine light on? If so, what codes is it throwing?
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD