The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brake Lights do not work

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Brake Lights do not work

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...t=brake+lights

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...t=brake+lights

Hello, My names is Gary, 99 galant ES. I have done research into this but I cannot figure out the issue. My rear running lights work but when I apply the brake, no extra lights illuminate. The dome brake light also does no turn on. I have checked fuses under the hood and in the cabin to the left of the steering wheel and all rear light fuses are intact. I have checked all the bulbs in the taillights and they are not blown.

My headlights also do not work. Hazards and fog lights work but main headlights do not. Fuses are intact and I even replaced the bulbs. For about three days they worked (one brighter than the other) but now they do not work once again.

What could this be? Please help, I have inspection coming up soon.

PS: Does anyone know exactly what your car needs to pass inspection once it is 15 years or older?
    Last edited by gore9878; 12-01-2016 at 03:10 AM

For the brake lights, I'd test the switch next. Use an ohmmeter (ideally one that beeps on electrical continuity) to probe the outputs of the brake pedal switch.

You'll need to disconnect the cable from it first. Once you depress the brake slightly, it will release the switch (it's a normally closed switch), and you should read contact between the two pins.

Not sure about the headlights. It sounds like there may be a problem with the wiring, either a short or a break. I'd do a voltage test between the pins and ground while the switch is on. See if you're getting anything at all. One of the pins (the gnd) should make contact with the car body. If more than one make contact with gnd/body metal, there's probably a short. If none of them do, then there's a break in your ground wire.
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

Thank you Charris, Headlights issue is fixed, it actually turned out to be a loose connection on the positive post on the battery. I ordered a new clamp that should arrive on Monday. As soon as I install this piece I am going to test the switch with an ohmmeter and post an update. Thank you for the response.

Any luck with testing the brake pedal switch?
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD