The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2002 Galant F4A42 transmission Limp Mode.

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

2002 Galant F4A42 transmission Limp Mode.

i have 2002 Galant EA2A 4G63 2.0L automatic transmission F4A42 done 150,000km

I changed front break pads, then there was a grinding noise from the driver side wheel (RH). ABS light came on and the transmission went into Limp mode (flashing N). Switching the car off and on Limp mode went away for 15min and came back. Fixed the wheel grinding noise (replacing caliper guide pin) then ABS light went off but transmission still goes into Limp mode.

Pulled codes - 42 (incorrect 2nd gear ratio) researched in google and did following.
    Checked transmission fluid level. was ok but the color was dark brown. so i changed with ATF SPIII, while doing that took off the pan and the valve body, cleaned all valves, accumelators, checked all solenoids. (their resistance was 4.2 Ohms except underdrive. so i replaced it.)
    replaced output/input speed sensors (OEM) / checked automatic transmission relay and it works
    checked all the harnesses and fuses / reset the ECU several times (removing the battery terminals)

Nothing worked. all this time I get same code 42.

Now it hardly moves out of 1st gear. it revs up 3000-4000 RPM (even more) and vibrates. When let go off the gass pedal it goes into Limp mode. It shifts ok when going down hill but wont downshift. unless I manually shift the lever to "L". if i didn't it goes into limp mode. but 1st and Reverse gears are ok. Feels like car doesn't roll freely, lack of power.

This is my 4th Galant. had '81, '86, and '96. all manual transmission. don't know much about Automatics.
    Before changine the break pads car was shifting fine and never had a problem.
    Any idea.? Please help ..!

Today i disabled the ABS (engine bay relay and the fuse) drove the car, after just shifting to 2nd gear car was in the Limp mode. same old code 42.
    so the ABS got nothing to do with the Limp mode. *but car rolled freely without ABS. dont know why?

According to the service manual, probable cause for code 42.

1. malfunction of the input shaft speed sensor
    2. malfunction of the output shaft speed sensor
    3. malfunction of the underdrive clutch retainer
    4. malfunction of the transfer drive gear or driven gear
    5. malfunction of the second break system
    6. malfunction of the underdrive clutch system
    7. noise generated

Already checked and replaced 1st and 2nd.
    What are the other 5 and how do I check those?

Could it possibly be an issue with the wiring at the transmission harness? Make sure it isn't something simple like a loose/broken wire...
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

Checked all the connectors and the harness running down to the transmission from the ECU. Everything Ok. Sprayed contact cleaners to all connectors and reconnected it. Still the same.

I'm out of options now. hope to add transmission additive, like LUCUS stop slip. Any suggestion..!