The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 3G Steering wheel

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

3G Steering wheel

It's scary of how quiet here is lately, I guess my question may bump the forum a little bit

So lately I saw a 3G Eclipse steering wheel for sale on eBay, and I recognize there are buttons on the back, they should be the stereo remote control (whatever you want to call it),
    and that makes me super interested.

Has anyone done a mod with the steering wheel control on an aftermarket head unit before? let's say my case,
    8G 2000 ES 2.4, probably need a unit that supports steering wheel control, then, of course, a 3G steering wheel with the buttons, how hard would it be to run the wire from the steering wheel to the dash? or like how many wires will I need to deal with?

for your reference, this is the wheel I found with the buttons:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/152168629826...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

From my little research so far, I know that this feature only available for Eclipses after 2003, probably in some sort of premium package only.

That's your cruise control. Your steering wheel should have that already.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

I do recognize the cruise control, but I mean the buttons shown on the rear of the steering wheel (second picture), on 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position

Quote Originally Posted by yhkwok View Post
    I do recognize the cruise control, but I mean the buttons shown on the rear of the steering wheel (second picture), on 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position
    I see them now. It is gonna need some serious work to make it usable. U don't know just run a wire to the radio, it doesn't work that way. U need to somehow implement it into the clock spring to make it work. And most aftermarket head units don't have anything on the back for a remote control.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spdracr; 12-13-2016 at 02:27 AM
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Try looking for an aftermarket stereo/ipod harness designed to work with the OEM steering wheel controls on a 2003+ Eclipse. If you find one, it *might* work, but as spdracer said, you'll need the OEM wiring from a 2003+ eclipse. At *least* the clockspring, probably a lot more of the dash wiring harness.

The only other way to DIY it may be if the aftermarket interface has pinouts for the steering wheel or clock spring. You may be able to run the wiring from the clock spring to the stereo yourself.

It's probably easier to get an aftermarket set of steering wheel controls and put all that work into mounting/integrating them into your current steering wheel.
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

yea... as soon as my research hits the clockspring part (in the 3G club forum), I know it's gonna be expensive and complicated

So... I changed my mind, parts are pretty much collected, with the half price discount on every Wednesday at the junkyard,
    I got the 3G steering wheel w/ buttons with the airbag for about $50,
    the clockspring is not that bad to pull out, cost about $5 only,
    I've also ordered a new interface to connect the steering wheel buttons to the stereo, about $50 on Amazon,
    of course a new head unit that supports steering wheel control, I consider this a good chance to upgrade the head unit a bit, so I go for the Pioneer 6900BT, $90+- on Amazon

The rest will be to put them on, I have cut the wires on the back of the clockspring, leaving the plugs on the clockspring, and I'm going to leave the soldering work to the shop, hopefully the wire color will match up, this part is the only unknown I see so far (labor fee)

concept:
    [Head unit] connects [interface] connects 2 new wires [Original 8G wires(w/ horn, airbag, and cruise) + 2 extra wires going to the interface] solder & connects [2003+ 8G Galant/3G Eclipse clockspring] plug into [3G Eclipse steering wheel w/ remote control buttons, cruise, horn, and airbag]

*Yes, I've compared the plugs from a 2003 Galant and a 2003 Eclipse, the Eclipse does have 2 extra wires from the buttons to the back of the clockspring, and I believe those 2 extra wires I found are what I need to connect to the interface

Cross my finger this will work
    Last edited by yhkwok; 12-29-2016 at 01:26 AM