The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help changing A/T Fluid

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    jdeprima

Help changing A/T Fluid

I don't have much mechanical experience, and I was wondering what is involved in changing the A/T Fluid in my '99 GTZ. I recently cleaned the throttle body, and that went very well, and I just really don't feel like paying someone to change the A/T Fluid if it is something I can do myself. Anyone know of good tutorials, or something with pictures so I don't screw it up? Any help is appreciated.

Faction
    i'll get some pics for you today, but for now its the big bolt on the tranny at the bottom close to the front left tire, use about a size 17 wrench to get it loose

its actually a 22 (or is it 24?) mm wrench.

Faction
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>its actually a 22 (or is it 24?) mm wrench.</div>

yeah around that size, i just helped my dad changed the fluid today so i got pics

i think its that plug the arrow is pointing at, althought im not really sure, it might be the biggest bolt right next to it, yeah i think it is the biggest bolt you find at the bottom of the tranny

they actually moved the location on the 01s and up..
    the original location was on the left side of the transaxle (like you are pointing too, but not that exact bolt).
    on the later models, the drain plug is actually located on the very bottom of the transaxle, in the lowest possible position (to allow for maximum drainage of the fluid).

uhm. i got my mechanic to flush my system out for like 30 dollars recently. just had to give him the mitsu fluid and he flushed it for 30 dollars. you also said u had a 99 which means it will have an external tranny filter. you might wanna get that replaced too.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Andoy

Tranny Fluid

Do you have to use the fluid from Mitsu dealers only? I recently had my tranny fluid changed and I did it at Valvoline ... the said they used a "special Chrysler fluid" for it ... is that ok???

Faction
    it dosent matter, tranny fluid is tranny fluid. valvoline is good, i just made the switch to Dexron-III dont believe anybody that says you have to use mitsu fluid

Quote Originally Posted by Faction_03
    it dosent matter, tranny fluid is tranny fluid. valvoline is good, i just made the switch to Dexron-III dont believe anybody that says you have to use mitsu fluid
    dont believe anyone that tells you otherwise, because its NOT true.

yes, you should use ONLY mitsu fluid. it is close to, but not exactly like dexron 3.
    Using non mitsu fluid OFTEN results in poor shifting and shuddering torque converter clutches.
    dexron 3 will work, just not correctly.

Gilhuly
    Hey Manybrews,

Does Mitsubishi have the new fluid out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilhuly
    Hey Manybrews,

Does Mitsubishi have the new fluid out yet?
    nope.

soon, im told.

Faction
    well i knew manybrews was gonna say something like that since he works for mitsu but hey im only 14 and i learn most from the best, that includes you man!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey Manybrews, Â*

Does Mitsubishi have the new fluid out yet? Â*

nope. Â*

soon, im told.</div>

What's new about the fluid, and why are they changing it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RED2KESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey Manybrews, Â*

Does Mitsubishi have the new fluid out yet? Â*

nope. Â*

soon, im told.</div>

What's new about the fluid, and why are they changing it?</div>

who knows?
    the engineers are far smarter than I am.

the new fluid is designated AT 4... obviously an upgraded version of what they currently have.
    if I was a betting man, id say most of the updates regard its longevity.