The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Squealing sound at startup

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Squealing sound at startup

Every time I start my car is does this loud ass squeal for a good 20 seconds. Is this something I need to worry about?
    "Sometimes we win, sometimes we learn."

Probably your belts.

Does it mean my car is gonna fuck up soon?

Most likely, you just need to tighten your belts. Takes all of 5 minutes to fix. One tensioner is on the alternator bracket, the other is above the A/C compressor. I wanna say you just need a 12mm and a 14mm to do both of them. You may consider changing them depending on how old they are(3+ years old usually)

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Thanks big red

I had a similar problem fixed this past week, mine just keeps squealing (constant hi note), sometimes it won't go away even the engine is warm enough, like I have to rev it up above a certain rpm to make it go away for a second, sometimes above 2500rpm, sometimes 1500rpm, there's a time even 1000rpm lol

I took it to the shop and got the drive belt replaced, problem solved~ And as a bonus, some other noises I have had for a while is gone as well, yay!

Quote Originally Posted by yhkwok View Post
    I had a similar problem fixed this past week, mine just keeps squealing (constant hi note), sometimes it won't go away even the engine is warm enough, like I have to rev it up above a certain rpm to make it go away for a second, sometimes above 2500rpm, sometimes 1500rpm, there's a time even 1000rpm lol

I took it to the shop and got the drive belt replaced, problem solved~ And as a bonus, some other noises I have had for a while is gone as well, yay!
    How much did that cost?

that is relatively cheap shops around me charge 50-75 bux to replace all the belts

Quote Originally Posted by trougtyr View Post
    How much did that cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iholdtrue View Post
    that is relatively cheap shops around me charge 50-75 bux to replace all the belts
    Mine's cost a bit more than that, but yea, I think about an hour of labor in the shop, with the parts.

It's pretty easy to do yourself. Should take like 40 minutes taking your time. Hardest belt to change is the power steering and AC belt because of the tensioner being close to the frame rail.

I'm gonna do some research and try my luck this weekend

Right on. Also, I downloaded a copy of the service manual if that helps. You can download it too from here if you search for it. Lol free download