The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Can anybody explain why a Evo 4 or 4g63t from a JDM outlander will or will not workin

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Can anybody explain why a Evo 4 or 4g63t from a JDM outlander will or will not workin

Can anybody please tell me why a JDM Evo 4 motor will not work in a 8g rather than just saying jus use a sonata head or it won't work, has anyone ever tired cause it's honestly cheaper then the sonata head ??? Everything is oriented the same and everyone says mostly all 4g6x parts are interchangeable. I can get one on eBay for around 1800 that comes with everything IM, TB, TPS, exhaust manifold, turbo, transmission (I'd use the 3g tranny I have now then gather parts to covert to AWD and then swap that) , ecu wire harnesses, ECT basically everything and that's around the price (if not a few hundred cheaper) then a sonata imitation 8 build

You could but it won't be as easy or cheap as you think. I personally don't like the fact that the evo 4 runs from 96 to 98 so you don't know what it's life has been like roughly for 19 to 21 years and if it does run fine how much longer will it run fine for. So in the end your Sonata head build might not be as expensive as you think.

Also there some Suttle differences between the jdm and usdm versions that will catch you by surprise like the water neck is different and I believe it has Anti-lag. Again it will cost more money and headache sourcing the jdm parts or converting to usdm parts. Not a big deal but won't save money neither. You'll have to covert to an evo p/s pump also since the pulleys are different between the 8g and evo.

Switching ecu's and harnesses isn't an easy task and will be the hardest part. This is where the Sonata swap becomes more ideal, not as much wiring and plenty of people have done it so finding guidance (ask them nicely) will be much easier where as I can't think of anybody who swapped an evo harness and ecu that could help. It would require splicing it into the end existing dash panel harness and fuse box. The only person I can think of who swapped harnesses and ecu is Amuru, but I'm pretty sure he's an actual Mercedes Tech so he's more then qualified for the task, although he swapped from v6 to i4 not an evo but it's same work.

So basically cheaper doesn't mean easier, and cheaper usually gets expensive. If you go that route don't beat the crap out it, take care of it and it will last. But we all know that's not gonna happen lol. I know how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    You could but it won't be as easy or cheap as you think. I personally don't like the fact that the evo 4 runs from 96 to 98 so you don't know what it's life has been like roughly for 19 to 21 years and if it does run fine how much longer will it run fine for. So in the end your Sonata head build might not be as expensive as you think.

Also there some Suttle differences between the jdm and usdm versions that will catch you by surprise like the water neck is different and I believe it has Anti-lag. Again it will cost more money and headache sourcing the jdm parts or converting to usdm parts. Not a big deal but won't save money neither. You'll have to covert to an evo p/s pump also since the pulleys are different between the 8g and evo.

Switching ecu's and harnesses isn't an easy task and will be the hardest part. This is where the Sonata swap becomes more ideal, not as much wiring and plenty of people have done it so finding guidance (ask them nicely) will be much easier where as I can't think of anybody who swapped an evo harness and ecu that could help. It would require splicing it into the end existing dash panel harness and fuse box. The only person I can think of who swapped harnesses and ecu is Amuru, but I'm pretty sure he's an actual Mercedes Tech so he's more then qualified for the task, although he swapped from v6 to i4 not an evo but it's same work.

So basically cheaper doesn't mean easier, and cheaper usually gets expensive. If you go that route don't beat the crap out it, take care of it and it will last. But we all know that's not gonna happen lol. I know how it is.
    Thank you for actually being helpful And answering my question cause most ppl get pissy when the question is asked saying it's been asked before (which I haven't found a thread on what all motors will work only heard about Evo 8 and sonata swap) which made me wonder will all 4g63t that's oriented right work since most 4g6x parts are interchangeable . When I looked for all brand new evo 8 heads parts on eBay it was 2000 in parts alone not even including a turbocharged set up and I could find a 4g63t from a JDM outlander(Evo 5 block), Evo 4 or rvr x3(evo 5 block) around 1200-1800 which made me think it'll be cheaper to just get a whole JDM engine and if the bottom part was too hard to work in my car such as mounting it right or whatever wouldn't ideally I be able to just use the 4g63t head, IM, TB, exhaust manifold (with spacers to clear strter), and turbo ?? I was told not to look on eBay for parts looks on Craigslist (not guaranteed to have), or Evo pages but I don't know any

I hear ya sometimes people get pissy but don't let it bother you. Evo 8 parts are 16 yes old so there available except for transmissions and t-cases. There hard to come by. EBay is a good place, lots of dismantlers are vendors there and Evom.net has a real good classified section. I bet you there's at least one available now for between 500 - 800 dollars. I'm pretty sure you can just go to your local pick and pull and find a Sonata head. I don't know anything about that swap but there's plenty of people here that do ( lol again just ask nicely).

The Evo 4 would be a fun project and challenge but not many are up for it. They just want there car up and running asap. Just remember the less work you have to do the more you save. Don't use the word cheaper neither, it puts you in the wrong mind set. I like to think the word save, where can I save money. Also if you want your budget build to last treat it well when it's done so it will last, especially the gear box. It's real weak.

WTF I gotta wait two weeks on evom before I can even look at the market place ??? That's crazy they must not want anything sold to noobs or idk what but that's not a place I'm going to look if I gotta wait two weeks and it doesn't even gaurantee to have all the parts I need or looking for

Patience man, use that time research. There's a wealth of information over there, when I do a Google search on things relating to my car usually the answer comes straight from Evom.

Ya I'm tryna learn patience, I really need it especially working on cars. That's for your input it's greatly appreciated especially since it's coming from a experienced tgc member

Anytime.