The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HELP NEEDED - Is this 7G (Galant ES) worth repairing

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Icon5 HELP NEEDED - Is this 7G (Galant ES) worth repairing

Hi,

I have a 7G that has been sitting since 2014 and I'm not sure if it's worth the cost/ effort to get her running again. She would not pass smog due to a code 310 and was going through oil like crazy. I replaced the manifold gasket and had the rings checked (they were fine) and there were no leaks found. Then a mech friend stated the culprit was a failed cat. According to him, all I had to do was replace the rear cat near the exhaust and the problem should be solved. The error code should go away as well... What do you think?

Like I said, the car has not been run since 2014 and prior to that I did note some other issues cropping up such as the windows malfunctioning in cold weather and what appeared to be hard shifting from 1st to second (auto transmission). At least it felt like it but a mechanic stated the 'slam' ( as I called it) was not the trans; it was the motor mounts that needed replacement. I'm not a mech, so I couldn't tell if that guy was lying or what...

The car body is in good shape and the interior is good too, with the exception of the dash cracking/ curling around the defroster vents. I'd like to fix that too but am searching for a remedy...

Sorry for the long post, yet I've wrote this so you can provide me a somewhat informed and objective response to my question. I contacted a car professional who has a syndicated radio show and he said 'Mits' are more trouble than they're worth and in his opinion mine is only worth $500.00. He said I'd be throwing money away on repair attempts.

So with that stated - Do you think I should repair or junk this car?? I would have to get the work done and am finding it hard to locate people who know what to do. Your insight and assistance is appreciated and needed ASAP!!

Thanks!

I think it depends whats it worth to you at the end of the day, just remeber every new car you get your walking into different problems , you could try fixing the small stuff yourself and getting the bigger stuff done by shops, if the interior and exterior is in good shape i dotn see why not.

If you like the car then hell yea it's worth fixing. To me being happy with what you're driving is more important than the cost of maintenance/ shape of the vehicle. My buddy with a 240 absolutely adores the car, and it's always breaking something or rusting in new spots.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)