The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What do I need to do to keep my G alive?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

What do I need to do to keep my G alive?

My fiancé is stressing at the fact that one day my g may die on us because it has 180k miles. What do I need to do to keep this from happening? What do I need to buy to get the engine rebuilt?
    "Sometimes we win, sometimes we learn."

For the not part, basic maintenance. Every 60-100k miles replace the timing belt. Pay good attention to the cooling system, these cars can overheat fast.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Is that it?i don't have to worry about the engine or anything else really? She's trying to convince me to sell the G but I'm putting up a fight pol

For the most part, that should be it. I ended up replacing my motor because the previous owner overheated it, but the messed a few things up on it. They used a light switch for a house to turn the cooling fan on and off. My dad had a 2003 with 231k on the original engine, trans, and suspension and did 10k mile oil changes with conventional. Somehow, the engine and trans never gave up on him. Only oil leak it had was the valve cover and grommets. As long as you follow the maintenance schedule and check things out when you change the oil(suspension, hoses, ECT) you shouldn't have to worry about the engine or transmission giving out.

Oh, one thing to watch out for: intake manifold cracks. Our intake manis love to crack. I had to replace mine twice. If you do a search on here there is a thread to swap it out with one from an Outlander. The Outlander mani is cast aluminum and is a lot more reliable than our originals.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedtheGinger View Post
    Oh, one thing to watch out for: intake manifold cracks. Our intake manis love to crack. I had to replace mine twice. If you do a search on here there is a thread to swap it out with one from an Outlander. The Outlander mani is cast aluminum and is a lot more reliable than our originals.
    One of the things that make the manifold cracks occur faster is when you have a short ram intake or cold air intake installed along with bad motor mounts (which will make the engine shake more than normal). Apparently the combination of the two makes the manifold crack under more stress (source: other threads about cracked manifolds). I hope to do an outlander manifold swap in the future when I start to delve into performance mods.

As far as mileage goes, I know that dronesurfboards on here already past 300k miles like 2 years ago, still on original engine and transmission. There is also a thread for high mileage rollers here too. Dronesurfboards does maintenance religiously and I'm sure the like did as well. Maintenance is important!
    Last edited by TD86_; 02-06-2017 at 10:09 AM

02' Galant ES 2.4L

Quote Originally Posted by TD86_ View Post
    One of the things that make the manifold cracks occur faster is when you have a short ram intake or cold air intake installed along with bad motor mounts (which will make the engine shake more than normal). Apparently the combination of the two makes the manifold crack under more stress (source: other threads about cracked manifolds).

As far as mileage goes, I know that dronesurfboards on here already past 300k miles like 2 years ago, still on original engine and transmission. There is also a thread for high mileage rollers here too. Dronesurfboards does maintenance religiously and I'm sure the like did as well. Maintenance is important!
    Didn't know that about the cold air intake. For now, my intake is stock, but the mani I just replaced was from a junkyard. Saving up for the Outlander mani and related parts.

Didn't know that about the cold air intake. For now, my intake is stock, but the mani I just replaced was from a junkyard. Saving up for the Outlander mani and related parts.

Haha yeah, I can't quote from self-experience but it seems that other people have gone through plenty stock manifolds. I hear a tssssss coming from the intake manifold area but theres no idle oddities or check engine lights but I feel that the Outlander intake is going to be something I have to do in the future myself. Also I'm going to save for OEM mounts, my mounts I got from Amazon aren't the best lol.

Also OP, I second the rocker cover gasket leak to be something to watch out for in the future. I currently have a leak myself, I have yet to install my FelPro gasket since I'm having trouble finding time. I'm also well due for a timing belt change (which I'm a little scared to do lol), I currently have an Aisin kit that I got off of Rock Auto. For reference, I have 103k miles so I'm nowhere near 180 but.. lol

02' Galant ES 2.4L

I'll save up money for an outlander manifold swap and I think I may be due for a timing belt change. The previous owner did a shitty job of taking care of this car

you shouldn't have to worry about the engine or transmission giving out.
    Oh yes you do, transmission died on me at 198k. Id recommend getting a transmission fluid change if its due for one. If you don't know when its due then I'd get one now to be safe..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by trougtyr View Post
    The previous owner did a shitty job of taking care of this car
    Then definitely get the auto fluid changed. Not a flush, just a change.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Quote Originally Posted by Techn0Nut1996 View Post
    Oh yes you do, transmission died on me at 198k. Id recommend getting a transmission fluid change if its due for one. If you don't know when its due then I'd get one now to be safe..

- - - Updated - - -

Then definitely get the auto fluid changed. Not a flush, just a change.
    I'll definitely get that soon thanks brother