The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil Pan Replacement

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Oil Pan Replacement

I have a rusting oil pan and need it replaced. I was quoted $400 for the job by my mechanic, but it seems like it could be fairly easy to do myself. Any tips? I heard a nasty rumor that the exhaust would have to be removed, which I don't want to deal with given how old the exhaust is.... does anyone know if the pan can be removed without messing with the exhaust?

Its an '03 Galant ES 2.4L.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Yea the exhaust pipe would be in the way. Once you unbolt the oil pan you have to snake it out around the oil pick up, the exhaust pipe will just be in the way. Replacing it you would have to make sure you seal it correctly, line up the bolt holes correctly while snaking the oil pick up back to the bottom of the sump and torque it correctly. Pain in the ass especially if you working off of jack stands. If it was my daily and I could spare the money I would have my mechanic do it.

i would suggest getting it on a lift at a shop and take the exhaust off that way and drain the oil out completely then take the pan off

If you do it yourself, get some WD40 and a cheater pipe. It's a pain, but you'll save yourself a couple hundred dollars in labor.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk