The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New member from New Zealand

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

New member from New Zealand

Hey guys, I'm new as you can see and would love to learn a whole lot more about these beautiful cars. I'm a Filipino born and raised, currently living in NZ. I own a 2000 Galant VR4(8g) facelift. Looking forward to learn from you's
    Last edited by BLVCKRHiNO; 03-01-2017 at 04:38 AM

Welcome to TGC! I'm Filipino born and raised, as well!

I wish the U.S. had VR4's lol.

02' Galant ES 2.4L

New member from New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by TD86_ View Post
    Welcome to TGC! I'm Filipino born and raised, as well!

I wish the U.S. had VR4's lol.
    Thanks man!! Is it illegal over there in the states? They're amazing, heaps of power, heaps of servicing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BLVCKRHiNO; 03-01-2017 at 04:42 AM

Hey, welcome! I actually ordered some parts from NZ last year for my 8g. You have a nice looking ride man.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEternalConflict View Post
    Hey, welcome! I actually ordered some parts from NZ last year for my 8g. You have a nice looking ride man.
    Thanks bro, she's my project, got big plans for her

Beautiful VR-4, in the states imported cars have to pass certain regulations such as safety which require crash testing among other things which has never been done so in a way if you do happen to own one in the states it is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by BLVCKRHiNO View Post
    Is it illegal over there in the states?
    Here in the states, we have a 25 year importing rule; cars have to be older than 25 years to import into the states.

In recent years, we were given the green light to import R32's and Honda Beat's and such. Also included are Japan versions of vehicles already sold here (i.e. Soarers (SCx00), NSX's, etc.) There are people with R33's, R34's, and S15's roaming around in my state but I'm assuming they're under our show car exemption rule (able to import but only a certain amount of miles a year is allowed, a low one at that).
    Last edited by TD86_; 03-01-2017 at 10:53 AM

02' Galant ES 2.4L

And to add to that there amount of skylines that were imported legaly but was stopped when the company went out of business. The rest are "borrowing" vin #s and have illegal but have legal registration until caught.

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    And to add to that there amount of skylines that were imported legaly but was stopped when the company went out of business. The rest are "borrowing" vin #s and have illegal but have legal registration until caught.
    ^^^ RIP MotoRex lmao. I used to visit their shop just to see R34's back when I was like 6 or 7 lol. IIRC the initial Skylines they imported were legal but somewhere in the middle is when they started turning crooked or something

02' Galant ES 2.4L

Yea Motorex, i couldnt think of the name lol. So 5 more years you can import a 97 vr4 right? Thats if you wanna pay for all the shipping, custom fees plus what ever taxes.

Theres a used car dealership that deals only with jdms, i wonder if a place like that would be willing to do all the dirty work.

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    Yea Motorex, i couldnt think of the name lol. So 5 more years you can import a 97 vr4 right? Thats if you wanna pay for all the shipping, custom fees plus what ever taxes.

Theres a used car dealership that deals only with jdms, i wonder if a place like that would be willing to do all the dirty work.
    Just had to be so complicated doesn't it lol if that's the case, would you be able to just get all the components such as the 6A13TT and just swap it in a galant viento?

I guess that would be the 7gen correct? I have no idea, i know the euros had that option but i dont if the chassis are identical. I think recall a member here had some sort of odd swap like vr4 motor in a 2nd gen eclipse and that shares similar chassis with the 7 the gen so Im sure its possible.

Such a heavy motor to put in a small car thougj.

Yeah, so you guys are able to get the motor etc but just not as a whole car.. there's viento that are 8g I'm pretty sure, but yes it's just weight to consider. My vr4's front springs has been compressed just from the motors weight lol

Its weird, years ago when i would search vr4 front clips were readily available at shops that specialized in importing jdm parts, pretty much a jdm junkyard. But know ones ever owned one in the states except for one person as far as I know or as far as the web lets you know.

Must be the Canadians that were buying these clips cause Im pretty sure they can import them without hassle. But really these cars were never known to most import tuners, even the old dsm crowd never really caught on to them. It was always hondas, nissans, and dsms.

It's honestly a shame that they didn't get as much notice as they should've, great cars no doubt about it but only known in a few countries. You guys in the states got way more upgrade parts over there though. Such a struggle trying to find some over here. I tried ordering a body kit from over there but no way was I gonna get it since the shipping was crazy.. shipping by itself ended up being 3x more expensive that the actual kit I wanted

Same here, jdm and euro spec parts are more desirable here but the cost of shipping was alot and finding a source to buy from was difficult too.