The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: When to do Valve clearance adjustments

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

When to do Valve clearance adjustments

My 2009 Mitsubishi Galant has 110,000 miles on it. It sounds little rough but can not hear weird noises that I heard on before valve clearance adjustment videos on youtube. What's the recommended time? When did you do it?

Just sharing,
    I bought car at 86,400 miles and since then changed
    At 86,475: tires, wheel alignment
    At 92,732: New struts, stabilizer links, wheel alignment
    At 100,028: wheel alignment
    At 105,000 miles: timing belt, pulleys, water pump, spark plug, drive belt, thermostat, valve cover gasket

Engine oil and filter change every 7,500 miles (manufacturer recommended) since 89,925 miles

Next things on my mind are,
    Power steering flush DIY
    Coolant flush DIY
    Change brake fluid DIY
    Use engine flush before next oil change DIY

If you have any other recommendation, feel free to share.
    Last edited by Ruturaj; 03-04-2017 at 12:39 AM

Bump

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

All of them have lifter tick. Every Mitsubishi I've ever seen. Put Lucas additives in the oil or run 10w-40 and you'll be fine.
    Source: I own five

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN

Quote Originally Posted by Blue3000GTguy View Post
    All of them have lifter tick. Every Mitsubishi I've ever seen. Put Lucas additives in the oil or run 10w-40 and you'll be fine.
    Source: I own five

I will try Lucas additive, which variant though? Did you ever check valve clearance, just curious?
    Last edited by Ruturaj; 04-10-2017 at 10:32 PM

Thinner oil can help fill dry lifters but also reduce oil pressure. I use just 10w-40. I check my oil level when the tick gets louder than normal. Because the hydraulic lifters act as automatic valve lash adjusters, the only time you should ever really need to check valve clearance is after replacing them. If you genuinely believe that the tapping is too loud, replacing them may be an option. I've always felt that it's not a true Mitsubishi unless it has a lifter tap to some degree. I would say my car taps 80% of the time with 5% of that time actually being loud enough to cause any concern.
    I typically decide the lifters are loud enough once I can rev the engine to my normal driving rpms (2-3k) and the ticking doesn't stop.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jremeryiii; 04-11-2017 at 05:01 PM
    1996 Galant S
    2.4 SOHC 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Ruturaj View Post
    I will try Lucas additive, which variant though? Did you ever check valve clearance, just curious?
    Just the standard Lucas Oil Stabilizer, works wonders.
    As Jremeryiii states below, these are automatic lash adjusters, and as a result the clearance shouldn't need checked.

Quote Originally Posted by jremeryiii View Post
    Thinner oil can help fill dry lifters but also reduce oil pressure. I use just 10w-40. I check my oil level when the tick gets louder than normal. Because the hydraulic lifters act as automatic valve lash adjusters, the only time you should ever really need to check valve clearance is after replacing them. If you genuinely believe that the tapping is too loud, replacing them may be an option. I've always felt that it's not a true Mitsubishi unless it has a lifter tap to some degree. I would say my car taps 80% of the time with 5% of that time actually being loud enough to cause any concern.
    I typically decide the lifters are loud enough once I can rev the engine to my normal driving rpms (2-3k) and the ticking doesn't stop.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    If you're using 10-40 and you still have a tick, you need Lucas. Just be careful with valve cover leaks, as I've had a bad valve cover gasket soak a starter in oil on my 01 v6 and kill the damn starter.

On another note, I don't know if the variety of engines in the 8g has the new style lifters or not, but in the 99 3000GT Mitsubishi offered a new lifter design with a 3mm oil tube instead of the standard 1mm found on every other 6G72 prior to then. I'll check my CAPs software and see if they share part numbers, if so the 99 3000GT lifters may be a good alternative, especially at $80/set

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Quote Originally Posted by Blue3000GTguy View Post
    Just the standard Lucas Oil Stabilizer, works wonders.
    As Jremeryiii states below, these are automatic lash adjusters, and as a result the clearance shouldn't need checked.
    Ther's a heavy duty version, do you mean that or synthetic version? Manual recommended checking every 30,000 miles and I never checked, neither did the previous owner that's why I was a little worried, didn't know that they were automatic lash sdjusters. Thanks.

This.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN