The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: rpm goes low when I step ?!?!?!

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    stormcruiser

rpm goes low when I step ?!?!?!

I stepped full pedal to speed and rpm rushed up then it jumps down for a quick second and goes up again..this happens often when I am stepping full gas. So weird I am stepping full...rpm should go up and up.....I am not talking about gear change....I know the gear didn't changed but suddenly feels like the gas stopped burning. I modified the filter to K&N open type...anyone experience same thing?

Only thing I can think of is there's something wrong with your ignition system. Either it's not tuned up like lack of general maintenance in a long time so dirty plugs, oil, filters (air & oil), tranny fluid, fuel filter, and/or injectors can all cause this.

I'd do some general maintenance and use good fuel and some fuel injection cleaner to see if this phenomenon goes away.

[size=10]<span style='color:white'>. . . .</span>

yeah mine did that too once, after i did a complete tune-up, it was fine

HiperSilver
    maybee your having a cylinder misfire, check you plugs, wires, distributer, etc.

stormcruiser

how do I check?

DO I have to take it to a work shop or is there anyway to identify the problem like cylinder misfire? I changed the spark plug wires to NGK and spark plug to denso iridium with .044. Any problem there? Sametime I changed the filter to K&N open filter.

Re: how do I check?

Quote Originally Posted by stormcruiser
    DO I have to take it to a work shop or is there anyway to identify the problem like cylinder misfire? I changed the spark plug wires to NGK and spark plug to denso iridium with .044. Any problem there? Sametime I changed the filter to K&N open filter.
    That is a good start. Right gapping too although you really don't need to gap iridiums as they are already pre-gapped. If you don't see the check engine light come on then I don't know what else to tell you other than to try the other general maintenance things.

I'd do and oil change and filter, change air filter, inspect distributor cap and rotor and wire brush clean as needed, clean TB with some carb cleaner on a rag and wipedown, and put some fuel injection cleaner in your gas. Give that a go!

As for cylinder misfire, you will hear misfires and your engine will be rough all the time.

miragal
    I think you reach the rev limiter.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(miragal)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think you reach the rev limiter.</div>

He didn't say he topped out!

stormcruiser

yeah usually its between 2nd and 3rd gear

its not rev limiter.....rpm is usually around 3000 to 4000...where it stagnate and bounce down...
    I am pretty sure its dirty injector and misfiring since I hear this weird noise in the cylinder....it sounds "krang! krang!" but its quiet soft.
    Anyway Tjc, is there anything I can do about cylinder misfire? When I installed my new denso spark plug, the workshop guy put something that looks like copper cream on the spark plug...I hope its not that causing this...since he said that thing do goodstuff. Any immediate thing I should do for sylinder misfire?

As for injector, I've used valvoline injector cleaner before but didn't see much effect although this shit said its guranteed....I am gonna try stp injector cleaner. After that I am gonna take it for a profession check up on injector. Maybe jiffy lube.....do they have that service?

The wheather was cool today so I took it for a ride...and I hate it...for me to get acceleration I have to full pedal to max to get the car moving..or else I get rpm of 3000 for like 4 sec. anyway thanks tjc and hope thing work out.