The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Update on yet another cracked intake

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Update on yet another cracked intake

Ok, my 3rd intake manifold cracked on me this past week. I tried to Jimmy Rig it with JB Weld, and that was like putting a band aid over a shotgun wound. The whole flange broke off, like my last one. I'm gonna get the bastard welded by a shop, guy said it'll cost about $40. Hopefully, that will last longer that a month at a time like my last ones. I'm getting tired of this, my just save up for a V6 swap....

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

It's cheaper to sell and buy a V6 car honestly. The swap is too much work to be worth it. I'm looking for an outlander intake manifold for you, but if it gets welded it should hold up for a while.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN

I've found an outlander at my local pap, the next day I have a chance I'll go pull the manifold and required parts and we'll work something out.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

The main advantage(besides power) I'd see on the V6 in a 4cyl is lower insurance premiums, other than that itd be more "Look what I did!" Kind of thing. Plus I'd probably go for a 6G74 if I go that route. I get paid Friday after next, so once that check goes through, we can talk costs. Shipping will probably be a killer, I live in 91722.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedtheGinger View Post
    The main advantage(besides power) I'd see on the V6 in a 4cyl is lower insurance premiums, other than that itd be more "Look what I did!" Kind of thing. Plus I'd probably go for a 6G74 if I go that route. I get paid Friday after next, so once that check goes through, we can talk costs. Shipping will probably be a killer, I live in 91722.

Insurance premiums aren't that different. It's a 15 year old Japanese sedan. They're not that high either way. Adding my V6 car to my insurance was $40 a month on top of my wife, myself, and our V8 thunderbird.
    Also, more power can be had cheaper on the stock 4G64 because turbo is easy compared to the work required to get the same kind of gains in a V6. Also cheaper. Remember, there's only a 45hp difference between the two engines. You can get 45hp (and a lot more) easier and cheaper than swapping a V6.
    The 6G74 makes MAYBE 15HP more than the 72. Just FYI. It's just better to build because displacement = goooood.
    Whenever I get a chance to get out, I'll pull it. Just talk to me whenever.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Also, "look what I did" gets expensive and honestly really old really fast.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

check ur rear mount, if thats broken, it causes alot of issues...also if u are running an intake, make sure has a bracket from the MAF to the motor, the added weight adds stress to the tb

Quote Originally Posted by daman2fear View Post
    check ur rear mount, if thats broken, it causes alot of issues...also if u are running an intake, make sure has a bracket from the MAF to the motor, the added weight adds stress to the tb
    I'm not running a true cold air intake, all it is is just a cone filter that bolts to the MAF(found it at a junkyard) but I have it supported by the lower half of the air box. The rear mound isn't broken, but probably worn to hell since it's original and will click over to 232k in a day or 2. For the mount, does anyone have any recommendations for a polyurethane replacement? Right now, the manifold is at the welder, guys charging me $40.

I don't the think this weld is good enough..... Lol

Looks like it might work. Lol.
    Any poly mounts for an eclipse will work.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Stupid question, is there much difference between the V6 and I4 mounts? Looking at Summit Racing they only show V6 mount inserts.

13-1904 is the prothane part number for the kit you need.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

I have to ask; what are you guys doing that would warrant so much stress on the IM? I've had my 8G since '05 with some simulance of an intake and have never had this issue.

It was a poor factory quality issue, in addition to worn motor mounts most of the time.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN