The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Temp Guage stuck in Normal position KOEO and KOER

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Temp Guage stuck in Normal position KOEO and KOER

My temp guage has quit working. When the engine running, the gauge stays in the middle normal range. Even when I unplug the water temp sender, then turn the key on with engine off, the guage still reads normal. When I turn the key off, the gauge returns to cold position. I tried grounding the wire to the sender and it makes no difference, guage still reads normal. With the key on, that wire has .3 volts on it.
    Last edited by John165; 03-25-2017 at 01:50 AM Reason: Changed switch to sender.

Quote Originally Posted by John165 View Post
    My temp guage has quit working. When the engine running, the gauge stays in the middle normal range. Even when I unplug the water temp switch, then turn the key on with engine off, the guage still reads normal. When I turn the key off, the gauge returns to cold position. I tried grounding the wire to the switch and it makes no difference, guage still reads normal. With the key on, that wire has .3 volts on it.
    Hi.
    Water temp switch, or sender?

We have three sensors. I, unfortunately, have the same problem as you.

A water temp switch which trips for AC Kill + fans on Hi - this is apparently near our radiator? Or so I've read. I haven't seen it though.

We have an ECU-only digital water temp sensor, with a 3pin connection IIRC.

And a temp-gage only sender - this is near the top drivers side edge of our valve cover, by a harness, a little hard to get to. Mine was filthy and covered with oil, and even shooting simple green + pressure washing it and wiping it all off, my gage is still in middle-limbo.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by orxon View Post
    Hi.
    Water temp switch, or sender?

We have three sensors. I, unfortunately, have the same problem as you.

A water temp switch which trips for AC Kill + fans on Hi - this is apparently near our radiator? Or so I've read. I haven't seen it though.

We have an ECU-only digital water temp sensor, with a 3pin connection IIRC.

And a temp-gage only sender - this is near the top drivers side edge of our valve cover, by a harness, a little hard to get to. Mine was filthy and covered with oil, and even shooting simple green + pressure washing it and wiping it all off, my gage is still in middle-limbo.

Good luck.

It is the water temp sender with single wire in the location you described. I have searched the service manual but couldnt find any info on this problem other than the wire diagram and thats it.

It's a dummy gauge anyway, put a good digital gauge in with a new sending unit and you'll be a lot happier.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN