The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Paint not wanting to stick to lip?

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Paint not wanting to stick to lip?

Hey Guys! Long time since I made a new thread but I seem to be having trouble with color matched spray paint wanting to stay on my lip. When I got the lip I sanded it all down and made sure it fit, then cleaned it super well. After that I primered it with filler primer, which I then sanded down again with even finer sand paper. After cleaning it again I sprayed a couple coats of the paint on and then a couple coats of clear. A couple months later the paint appeared to have bubbled a little then flaked off, so I sanded that spot down and then filled it, and then repeated the whole process again. Now a WEEK later it's already starting to bubble and flake off again. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or whats going on? I thought it was moisture under the paint but on the second go I made sure that it was bone dry, so I don't think thats the issue.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

No matter what type of paint you use, normally when you spray anything other than metal you have issues with adhesion. There is a solution for that, aptly named adhesion promoter. If you have a decent auto parts store with paint and body supplies, they should carry it. If not, your local Sherwin Williams paint store (not in a Lowe's or home Depot, a stand alone store) should carry it. If all else fails you can ask a local paint shop where you can find some.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN

^ Thanks for the advice! Ill definitely look into it!

Update, a few years later. Adhesion promoter was 100% the answer.