The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: looking for piston selection info!!!!!

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

looking for piston selection info!!!!!

is there any performance gains to be had by buying say weisco pistons and eagle rods? if not i can just get a 400 dollar rebuild kit off ebay. My 03 2.4 galant hasn't blown up or anything it just started leaking oil onto my serpentine belts and i don't know why. Its not leaking onto my timing belt at all and i don't even have a bottom timing belt cover on it. i was thinking about just pulling the whole thing out and rebuilding it since i just hit 200k and it leaks every fluid but gas and only ever left me stranded once in 2 years (pretty reliable in my book). But back to it i wanted to know since i'm not doing any crazy upgrades just standard stuff like exhaust, cold air intake, throttle body, headers, maybe a different cam and possibly a fuel pump. Its bone stock currently beside the square kicker i just added. so what do you guys think any advantages/ reasons worth paying 800 - 1200 for piston and rods is better tan pay 400 for the kit (buying better gaskets) and and keep my old rods?

If the eBay kit is DNJ, don't go for it. I used them on my 87 Civic and the gaskets sucked. The timing belt broke after 7k miles. As for the Pistons, if they increase compression, they increase power, but higher octane fuel will be required.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

You're making mountains out of mole hills. An oil leak is not a reason for a rebuild at any amount of mileage. I have three Volvos with over 300k, two of which have their original engines, and the third which had been turbo swapped. And I have a Kia with 260k with it's original engine.
    Solve the oil leak issue, drive it until it dies, then build it. I daily a V6 Galant with 216k and it leaks oil. Not gonna rebuild it until there's a hole in the block.

Your oil leak is likely one of four things. Valve cover, crank seal, cam seal, or intermediate shaft seal. Look and find it. And I'll pull a timing cover for you off of whichever one of my parts cars has a 4 banger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN