The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: crankshaft position sensor....

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

crankshaft position sensor....

Anyway to change it without removing the timing belt? It's a 99 2.4L and I removed the power steering assembly only to see it's blocked by several more pulleys and belts. Any help would be appreciated, I don't have the tools or experience to touch the timing.

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

I cut off the timing cover only to find the bolts are stripped and there's little room to do anything about it without removing everything around it.

Why would you cut off the timing cover? That keeps all the nasty stuff from the road from getting in the timing assembly and ruining things. Stop hacking at the car. Remove everything around it if you have to, but try universal sockets to get the bolts off first.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN

Quote Originally Posted by Blue3000GTguy View Post
    Why would you cut off the timing cover? That keeps all the nasty stuff from the road from getting in the timing assembly and ruining things. Stop hacking at the car. Remove everything around it if you have to, but try universal sockets to get the bolts off first.

I know I just learned the hard way. Had a family member tell me that the only way to get all the way in is to remove the crankshaft pulley and the two other pulleys. Going to call it for now and work on it again soon. Going to try to get a timing cover from the junkyard and do it the right way. I stupidly thought I could just gain acces through a shortcut, dumbest decision I've made while working on a vehicle by far.

there is a way to sneak the ckps behind the timing belt but it isnt easy. youd have to take the timing cover off, the p/s mount off and thatll give you access to everything. If you dont have the knowledge or skills to replace a timing belt you might not be able to get it done. best bet is to call a buddy that knows what hes doing and have him give you a hand.

I was able to get to it finally, got it done and up and running. 2 days later the MAF sensor went out. Is it common for multiple sensors to quit? I'm guessing there's an issue causing it, but I'm not sure where to start looking. I'll put a new MAF sensor in on Monday and see what happens haha

Sounds like you might have a ground issue somewhere. They don't normally just go out one after another.
    What makes you think the maf sensor went out? Can you unplug it and the car runs better? I have spares of both 4cyl and V6 if you need one.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Sounds like you might have a ground issue somewhere. They don't normally just go out one after another.
    What makes you think the maf sensor went out? Can you unplug it and the car runs better? I have spares of both 4cyl and V6 if you need one.

Ok I'll check it out. It started running rough and idled at 500 or so. My code reader said P0100, so I took a look at it. Nothing was noticeably loose or dirty, so I decided to buy a cheap one off of ebay to try it out. They are so expensive at the auto store, I was pretty surprised.

Just an update: The TPS sensor might be bad now, although I had to rewire it before because the field mice got to it. Main ground from battery looks fine. What other grounds should I look at? I'll have to see what there is when I get time.

A wire could be grounded against another wire. Take your negative terminal off and take a circuit tester and place one end on the battery and the other on the negative cable. If it lights up you have a bad ground.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

A wire could be grounded against another wire. Take your negative terminal off and take a circuit tester and place one end on the battery and the other on the negative cable. If it lights up you have a bad ground.

Ok I appreciate it, I will definitely try this first.