The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Blue's Triple Build Thread!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 58

Blue's Triple Build Thread!

So, TGC, the time has come for me to set goals for myself to get my Gs done. I have three cars I'm working on, and since I have so much to do I thought it would be easier to document all of my to-do lists here and make it possible for everyone to track my progress for future reference. This thread will also sprout how-to threads for the things I'm doing!

So, here's the break-down. I am working on:

1.) Deja Vu - My 2001 Banyan Bay Beige LS V6 that was totalled three years ago.
    2.) My 2003 Titanium Pearl ES V6 title loan repo, $300 craigslist daily.
    3.) The wife's 2003 ES 4 banger, which was also $300 and has jumped time.

Deja Vu, or Deja as we call her, was destroyed in an accident in June of 2014. You can see the pictures here. It wasn't my fault, but the car was totaled, and sat for over a year in my back yard before I got her running again, when all of my other cars were down and I needed an emergency daily. after a little effort she was back to being a reliable daily, complete with cold air. My wife fell in love with her and she was hooked on the 8G platform. The only issue was, the car was still in pretty rough shape, and a lot of the running gear was worn out. But at the time I couldn't afford another car, and my wife was pregnant, so I had to keep driving her. A few months before we had our first baby, she started running really badly, and I had to once again park her. I've putted her across the state twice since then, but she's not the same, and it's time to get her back in shape. This is as she sits now:

If it weren't for the emotional attachment, and the fact that this is a one-year color, I would have given up, but fortunately I have people who support my dumb ideas and this car isn't going anywhere. The rear end has been pulled out successfully, and all that's left to do is mount the crash bar and bolt everything back in, and she's done on the rear. Her to-do list will be on Post #2.

Next up is my 2003 ES V6, aka Repo. This car came from a title loan place up in Rock Hill, and I originally bought it for parts. But after driving it home, it didn't make sense to part it out, and I decided to daily it. When I bought it, it was on cut springs and rode like shit. Since then, I've replaced the front struts and springs, CV axles, and completely rebuilt the front end. I've started peeling the plastidip, which takes for freakin' EVER, and I've discovered that the passenger doors are black. Guess I figured out why it has a salvage title! This is how SHE sat, as of a few weeks ago when I bought her:

Looks like I'll have to update this picture later. The to-do list is post #3!

Lastly is the project 2003 Galant with a four cylinder. I never had a four banger car before, and when this one came up with timing issues, for $300 I jumped on it. Especially considering I had a parts car sitting in the yard with anything it could possibly need! It was originally titanium pearl, with a crappy white maaco paint job and a surprisingly low 140k on the clock. This car's temporary goal is to be a daily for my wife, until I can pick up a GTZ for a daily, and turn this car into a twin cam turbo beast for her to auto-x. I haven't gotten much chance to fix it yet, but this is how it sits now:

This one's to-do list isn't so bad, it'll be on post #4.

Now, I have a bodega beige/tan cloth 2001 V6 parts car, a white/tan cloth 2002 ES 4cyl parts car, and a silver 2000 eclipse v6 m/t, all of which I will be using for parts for these builds. So keep that in mind, as I randomly appear with parts in hand! Lol.
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN

Awesome ! Cant Wait to see what you do with them all !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Deja has a lot of work to be done, but I've made the decision to bring her back to OEM+ condition. That includes a full restoration to her previous state, but with GTZ springs, sway bars, and fresh tint! So far I've completed:

Replace rear struts
    Repair rear body metal
    Replace and align trunk lid
    Position and mount rear bumper
    Replace tail lights with 8GB USDM lights.

Compared to the to-do list, this is pretty bad though. The to-do list:

Body:
    ✓Remove and replace radiator support
    ✓Replace both front fenders
    Replace driver door
    New 8GB USDM headlights
    Modify USDM grille
    USDM VR-4 style fiberglass front bumper repair and install
    Replace hood
    Prep body for paint
    Reinstall Spoiler and wire properly

Under-car
    Install front struts and GTZ springs
    Install GTZ sway bars
    Better tires
    Delete Resonator and install aftermarket muffler
    Replace brake dust shields on front wheels
    Energy suspension bushings everywhere!

Interior:
    Tint windows
    ✓Repair driver seat frame
    Repair dashboard
    Replace carpet
    Replace audio system including bypassing the infinity system
    Install Diamante reading lights
    Repair driver door switches
    Refinish interior "wood" pieces

Engine bay
    New valve cover gaskets (AGAIN)
    Replace the last o2 sensor
    Repair EGR recirculation system
    ✓Swap ECU/Immobilizer/Keyswitch from bodega beige '01 V6
    Timing belt/Water pump/oil pump
    Front and rear seals
    Replace transmission with bodega beige '01 V6 lower mileage transmission
    Install transmission cooler
    Energy suspension engine mounts

I'm sure I'll find more to add, but I can't recall right now.
    Last edited by Blue3000GTguy; 07-29-2017 at 10:35 AM
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Repo's got a lot of work to be done, most of it custom. So far I've gotten done quite a bit of things, including:

Complete front end rebuild, with CV axles (View the How-to here
    Raise front end from stupid cut springs
    Begin peeling plastidip, which takes FOREVER
    Fixed the drain plug leak on the transmission
    Aligned and tracking straight!
    Installed 3G Steering wheel

To-Do:

Body:
    Finish peeling plastidip
    Replace front fenders
    Repair dents in rear right quarter panel
    Add Integra lip
    Add SVR4 rear lip and sideskirts
    Install fender flares
    Evo 8/9 Wing
    JDM 8GB tail lights
    New 8GB USDM headlights
    Carbon fiber hood
    Replace trunk
    Tint windows
    EGR Rear visor
    Paint prep

Interior:
    BLACK interior. Everything.
    3G leather seats
    Recover rear seat in black leather
    Order black carpet
    Install Diamante rear lights
    3G center console (MAYBE)
    Custom stitched headliner
    Good sound system, move sub and amp from Thunderbird.

Under-Car:
    Coilovers
    Brake upgrade
    Energy suspension bushings
    Super kick-ass tires
    Braided brake lines

Engine Bay:
    5spd swap
    New 5spd axles
    Energy Engine mounts
    Valve cover gaskets
    Timing belt/water pump/Oil pump
    Oil pan gasket
    Main seals
    Tune Up

Again probably more but can't think of it right now.

----------------------------------------------------

Since I fell asleep and didn't get the third list up, I'll add the four banger car here. Whoops. Lol.
    Anyway, the engine has likely jumped time, so knowing that, I have adapted my list as so:

Engine:
    ✓Remove old engine
    Replace timing and all bad gaskets on new motor, then insert new motor
    ✓Clean engine bay
    ✓New motor mounts
    Fix AC if not working (unknown)

Interior:
    Swap tan interior from bodega beige car, complete with dash
    MAYBE 3g Diamante steering wheel
    Diamante reading lights
    Kickin' sound system​

Under-Car:
    Lowering springs
    Tie rods
    Alignment
    ✓Kick-ass wheels
    Energy bushings
    eBay catback and deleted resonator

Body:
    EGR visor
    Replace front bumper
    Repaint (Not maaco)
    New 8GB USDM headlights
    HID fogs

Not a super crazy list of things to do for a daily, but still a project nonetheless!
    Last edited by Blue3000GTguy; 07-04-2017 at 10:56 PM
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Sounds like you are going to be very busy for a very long time. Sounds like fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by seanske99 View Post
    Sounds like you are going to be very busy for a very long time. Sounds like fun though.
    I'm always super busy. Lol. I haven't even gotten to the third car. Lol. I fell asleep. At the doctor's office right now, but I'll probably be getting the engine out of the eclipse parts car today.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

I just picked up a 5 Spd transmission, Shifter and Cables yesterday for $175. I'm in the same boat as you. Wife totaled out my 8G about 4 years ago. Crushed the radiator support bar, hood, headlights, cyber 2 front end from Erebuni, pretty much everything in the first 4 inches of the front end were squished. I have a lot of work on my hands as well. The parts for the manual swap are the first parts I've bought to start rebuilding it since she crashed it. I hope to get it going by the end of summer.

I just picked up a 5 Spd transmission, Shifter and Cables yesterday for $175. I'm in the same boat as you. Wife totaled out my 8G about 4 years ago. Crushed the radiator support bar, hood, headlights, cyber 2 front end from Erebuni, pretty much everything in the first 4 inches of the front end were squished. I have a lot of work on my hands as well. The parts for the manual swap are the first parts I've bought to start rebuilding it since she crashed it. I hope to get it going by the end of summer.
    I found a V6 eclipse with a manual for so cheap I had to get the whole thing, so I pretty much got the 5spd swap for free after I crush the rest of the car. $175 is a damn good deal though, if you run across another swap for that price buy it, you never know when you'll need another five speed G. ;)

The rad support on these cars isn't hard to get off, it's just really annoying drilling out all of the spot welds. Make sure you've got some good spot weld bits and you should be good to go.
    If you need any stock parts I have some extras laying around. Just PM me if you need anything and I'll see what I can do.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Quote Originally Posted by Blue3000GTguy View Post
    The rad support on these cars isn't hard to get off, it's just really annoying drilling out all of the spot welds. Make sure you've got some good spot weld bits and you should be good to go.
    If you need any stock parts I have some extras laying around. Just PM me if you need anything and I'll see what I can do.

Yeah, the support was a little PITA. I got it off though. I got a bug up my ass about a year ago to do something with the car. I stripped off all the busted parts and scrapped what I could. Hood, fenders, radiator.

I'll take a look around the car and see what I need. We have plenty of JY's here, and they have plenty of G's and Eclipses. Shouldn't be too hard to find things. If you need anything as well, I can take a trip and try to find something.

Yeah, the support was a little PITA. I got it off though. I got a bug up my ass about a year ago to do something with the car. I stripped off all the busted parts and scrapped what I could. Hood, fenders, radiator.

I'll take a look around the car and see what I need. We have plenty of JY's here, and they have plenty of G's and Eclipses. Shouldn't be too hard to find things. If you need anything as well, I can take a trip and try to find something.
    I'm the same way, I have about 8 big yards within two hours, so I'm always looking for parts. Lol. Keep an eye out for a sonata head for me. ;)

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Quote Originally Posted by Blue3000GTguy View Post
    Keep an eye out for a sonata head for me. ;)

No problem. Just tell me what years, and motor size, and snap a pic for reference and I'll see what I can find

Started working on blacking out the interior today. Got all this and a door panel done, gotta get clear and more paint. Really can't say enough about this paint.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Looks good !

Quote Originally Posted by Projekt8G View Post
    Looks good !

Thanks man, I have been thinking about the color combo for a while and I've finally come to this conclusion. It's darker than the stock blueish silver and looks epic against the black.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Yea that's gonna look really nice once everything is done and reattached

Quote Originally Posted by Projekt8G View Post
    Yea that's gonna look really nice once everything is done and reattached

Thanks man. A little note, I noticed paint wasn't sticking well to those trim pieces, so rough them up with some sandpaper to get the paint to stick better.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Make sure its a fine enough grit though. Don't want the scuff marks to show up once you paint. Made that mistake once.

Yep, I was thinking about 400 grit, but I have a few sets of these parts so I can play a little. I may just order some low temp powder and practice powdercoating plastic.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

The Krylon stuff works well too. I used it as kind of a primer before I painted my door panels. It's held up pretty well.

Everything I use is krylon lol. It bonds to everything, you just have to make sure it's at the right temp. I use the dual which has primer in it, never had any issues.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast