The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Blue's Triple Build Thread!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 58
    I had issues with paint sticking to the interior pieces, I hope you have better luck than I did cause it looks damn good!
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Yea I used sandpaper on my trunk trim to get rid of the ghost from the emblem and I also used Krylon, it does work really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! I should have paid more attention to the can in your pic. Lol!

If it turns out that I'm not happy with the adhesion of the paint after a few days, if I notice it's scratching or not doing too hot, I might try hitting it with adhesion promoter first to see how it holds up, since that's what paint shops do for plastic bumper covers.
    I'm also looking into Ultra low temp powders for plastic, and should have a lead on that very soon.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN

Well, today I went to the fabric store after work to get ideas. Turns out, I'm AWESOME. Picked up a yard of imitation suede and some backing for $15, and have enough material to do all four doors. The door panels I'm working on have been recovered with headliner material which is way too thick, so I peeled it off, and hit the panel with some sandpaper to clean it up really well before spraying my adhesive. Because I used the fabric I did, I had to glue the backing down, let it dry a little, and then glued the suede to the backing. I think the door as a whole turned out really well. Now I only have three more doors ro go, and I've gotta score two more eclipse door handles. ;) I admit the paint isn't holding up as well as I'd like it to, as I chipped it already, but I am planning to remove the door panel again to replace the switch panel once mine is done being painted, then I'll work on a different coating or just patch this one up for now. Still looks really awesome!
    For reference, the grey and tan door panel on the last pic is what was in the car before.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Looks great, same color scheme I was going to go with when I redo mine.

Looks so goood

Quote Originally Posted by seanske99 View Post
    Looks great, same color scheme I was going to go with when I redo mine.

That grey I picked for the trim is going to be awesome. I'm so happy it was available because I wanted something decidedly not black that would go well with the black. And wasnt too light.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

How is the paint holding up? Get everything all back together?

Honestly I've worked 36 hours the last three days and I'm on another 12 hour day today so I haven't had a chance to look at the car and see. My wife's been driving it this whole time. I still have to repaint the window switch trim but I'm getting to it eventually. Last I looked, though, the trim was doing great.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Quote Originally Posted by Blue3000GTguy View Post
    Honestly I've worked 36 hours the last three days and I'm on another 12 hour day today so I haven't had a chance to look at the car and see. My wife's been driving it this whole time. I still have to repaint the window switch trim but I'm getting to it eventually. Last I looked, though, the trim was doing great.

Man that is rough. I've been told you have to work hard to play hard though.

Quote Originally Posted by seanske99 View Post
    Man that is rough. I've been told you have to work hard to play hard though.
    It's true for most people, but there are some who make their money easier than others. It's just been a lot of long, busy days here lately. I bury the dead, and my schedule revolves around burials.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

So it's update time. The interior paint didn't hold up for long, so I'll be coating some parts with adhesion promoter to see how that helps. Otherwise will most likely have to try another alternative. Unfortunately I've had an issue with Repo (I lost her keys) so I'm going to swap in another ECU and delete the immobilizer. I'm going to order the reflash adapter for the openport I just picked up, and then I'll be in business. Hopefully that will get her back on the toad. Been stuck at my work shop for the last month and a half.
    Now for better news! We have a new radiator support in Deja, and I've worked out all the rust repair on the front clip, so from the doors forward the car is ready for paint! I've made the decision to replace both the engine and transmission with the lower mileage units from the parts car. So I will be pulling the old units out, and having the front clip and engine bay painted before having the rest of the car done, including the fenders/bumper/hood. I still have a little rust repair left on a rear fender, and some snapped off bolts to easy-out, then the only bodywork left to do will be changing the door and a few little dings on the back of the car! So here, have some pictures! I have to adjust the mounting on the passenger headlight a little but otherwise it's good!

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Adhesion promoter works wonders. I used it once and decided that if I ever paint plastic again I would use it.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

I was actually turned onto a product today by the guy at the paint shop that is a specific type of paint design for exterior trim that has a long record of staying very well on interior pieces. It has a two-day cure time so I'm going to try it on a piece today and in two days we will see how it holds up.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Alright guys, more updates. Decided to get off my ass with 4banger too, since I'm stuck waiting for parts for Deja and Repo. So what did I do on my day off yesterday? Engine removal! That's right, that bitch came out without a hitch. Pro tip, guys, the worst part of trying to rip out the engine is the trans mount. Double nut the studs for the trans mount and pull them out, so you can pull the engine and trans together. Unless you want to leave the trans in which I'm sure you can but I didn't.
    Step one was removing the wiring harness from the engine, which was problematic only where the alternator plug connects. My big ass hands and forearms weren't getting it from the passenger side, so I waited until almost the last second to remove it. Additionally, without laying on the ground (which I chose not to do) there is no way to get to the starter wires with the exhaust manifold in place. So you know, it's a good thing you have to get the manifold off to pull the engine. Which is a simple job EXCEPT the lowest bolt on the far passenger side. You'll have to use a good 14mm ratcheting wrench to pop it off. The last thing holding the manifold and precat on is a 14mm bolt on a bracket toward the bottom of the block. When you have all of the nuts off you'll be able to pop the manifold off. With everything disconnected the exhaust will be completely free of the engine, and that's a plus!
    Once you've got everything unplugged, unbolt the harness from the top of the transmission and battery tray and flip it up over the fender, so it's out of the way.
    By the way, there are some other things that have to come off. Radiator hoses (I pulled the whole thing). The throttle cable, for one thing. And the heater core hoses. But my personal favorite is the fuel lines. Never fails to get fuel on my hands. The transmission shifter cable! Vacuum line going to the brake booster. Ground strap on the throttle bracket. Oh, and the power steering lines from the pump. A messy favorite as well.
    Once you have all of that shit disconnected (I'm pretty sure I didn't skip anything, correct me if so), you can support the engine with a hoist/forklift/stout tree branch and remove the 17mm bolts on the mounts. Bolts out? Engine is free! Free like a bird!
    If you plan to remove the transmission too, you'll have to drop the hubs and pull the axles too. Which, eh, not a big deal. Unbolt the strut, disconnect tie rod, and pop the axle out. And everything is done!
    Shit is out, life is good. Bear in mind this all pertains only to a 4banger, but the basic concept is the same for every car. I may bother to write it up.
    I've got to order seals and gaskets for the used engine, but fortunately 4banger has all new engine mounts, so I get to avoid buying those (yay).

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

More updates? Fuck yeah, more updates! Spent yesterday evening cleaning out the engine bay on 4banger. Originally I had planned to use a pressure washer, but since it decided to be an asshole and not work, I got creative. I used a product sold literally everywhere called Goo gone, and a tire brush, and scrubbed everything down, before hosing the engine bay off on the "jet" setting. I neglected to take pictures, but you get the idea. Goo gone is normally great for getting sticker residue off of cars, but its power as a degreaser is second to none. I recommend its lovely orange scent to anyone trying to clean up an ugly engine.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Nice bro! I have some goo gone, never thought to try it as a degreaser !

Also, I mounted fenders on Deja Vu, to get an idea for how everything is fitting together. The passenger side headlight tweaking is complete, now I have to work the gap between the driver side fender and headlight.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Does anyone here have significant body work experience? I'm considering building flares onto Deja, since I'm doing bodywork, and I've seen a lot of people use foam and fiberglass, but I wanted to see what the long term is like.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast