The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Trans leak, but fixed itself?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Trans leak, but fixed itself?

I'm going to sound insane with this, but I'm​ not making this up. A couple weeks ago, my girlfriend and I were coming back home from Redondo Beach, CA(we live in Covina, CA) and at a light I noticed a ton of smoke coming from under the car. I stopped at a gas station and smelled ATF being burned on the exhaust. I got home(about 2 miles from the gas station) and checked things in the morning. I put the last half quart of ATF in it and went to the nearest dealer where I put another 2.5 quarts in it. The dealer raised it up and helped me look for a leak, but ATF was everywhere so we couldn't locate a source. Bastard hasn't leaked since. In the 10k I've put on it, I've only used the Diamond SP-III. To this day, the ATF level is good, and there is no more smoke. I'm at a loss for what could have caused it. I've worked at Pep Boys as a mechanic for 3 years, now I'm coming up on 3 years at a T/A shop as lube tech, and I've never seen this issue. Has anyone dealt with anything similar before? Or is this just Mitsu Magic?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

That really sounds like a case of a Mitsubishi just hating you for a minute. They do that. It's possible you had your trans dipstick blow out due to pressure, but that's something I've never seen and would worry me immensely.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN

Fortunately, the dipstick was secure when I checked it. The ATF was all over the firewall side. Almost thought it was a power steering leak at first.

That's really odd. I can't think of anything firewall side related to the transmission

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Only thing the is just the axle seals and the torque converter. It wasn't all over the firewall, but it was all over the cross member and hit the exhaust.

Axle seals are on the front side of the car, and torque converter access is underneath if any.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Maybe for the V6? I have the 4G64, the seals are on the back side.

Trans leaked again, this time I was able to see the ATF all over the CV axle on the passenger side. I think it gets pissy about cruising 85+ for too long with this seal. Gonna get it from Rock Auto, $8 shipped. Dealer wants $11 and O'Reilly's wants $16. If I keep it below 85 I should be good til the seal comes. Also, I found my rear mount is trashed. Autotech in Baldwin Park has it for like $14, and it's Anchor. Dealer wants $44. I'll deal with that til payday, which is this coming Tuesday.