The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hoses From EGR Valve Leaking Coolant ?!

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Hoses From EGR Valve Leaking Coolant ?!

Sorry if there is info on this somewhere but my 03 Galant threw an EGR Valve Code so I went to remove it so I could hit it with some carb cleaner and while removing the vacuum hoses coolant starts leaking out?! Is this normal???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Mitsubishi's infinite wisdom, they decided to have a coolant hose go from the thermostat housing to the throttle body, leave there to the EGR valve, then go from the EGR valve to that coolant crossover tube. Those two bigger hoses are coolant hoses, so nothing is wrong.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Ahh ok thanks a lot man I was freaking out for a bit I finally got the stubborn vacuum hose off and now I'm cleaning out the EGR Valve! Man there is a lot of carbon build up in here !!

I imagine so! During one of my intake manifold swaps I broke a wire to my EGR so it's always closed. Should repair it sometime. Though I bypassed to coolant hoses and have a blue silicone hose going from the thermostat housing straight to the crossover tube. Got it from work with a discount after one of the originals broke.

Oh man ! Yea you should repair that, the car will probably run much better when you do..hopefully now mine will I cleaned it out pretty well but there is still a substantial amount of carbon so I'm letting it sit overnight..after I clean it in the morning how long should I wait before mounting it back up to the G ?

Overnight should be good, after you clean it you could throw it back on. That what all the techs did at the other shops I worked at. I know I should repair the wire, just been lazy about it.

Got it back on and I'm riding good! Thanks for the help man, wasn't that hard to do except for this car has so much rust and literally nothing has been changed on this car except the oil since it left the lot hardest part was getting those stubborn hoses to come off lol

You're welcome. Those hoses are always a pain.

Yea they are. So, my check engine light is back on and this time the code was for the control switch/Solenoid. I'm about to go get a new one but, could someone let me know where that is located please.

I think it's the round piece next to it with the vacuum lines coming off it, or where that connector is, nearer to the passenger side.

Hmm alright I look around there see if I can find it, thanks.

Man what a struggle..got everything else off but can't figure out how to disconnect that electrical orange thing?

Due to the age it's gonna be a pain. You still take it off the same way as you take off the ignition coil connector.

Thanks bro I finally got it! Made such a fast job take forever lol hopefully I don't get any CEL now

Lol right on. Hopefully that solves your issue.

Yup! Next step is figuring out why its overheating and the coolant reservoir never goes down