The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6g74 mt swap questions

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

6g74 mt swap questions

Hi, first post here. I flip cars for side cash, and occasionally i end up with a car that just isnt profitable to work with. This time im sitting on a 99 galant, with a questionable motor and lots of rotted rubber in the front. The body and interior are just too nice to send it off to rest in peace in a wrecking yard. My poor passport is getting long in the tooth, so i figure its time to build something for myself.

Digging around, ive learned that replacing the 72 with a 74 from a dimante is damn near a bolt in, as well as a 5 speed conversion.

Before i start ordering stuff, i have a couple of questions i would like to clear up.

Am i correct that i will need to use the 72 injectors on the 74 block?

How much of the bracketry will swap over to the 3.0 to the 3.5? i will be ordering the engine online rather than going to the boneyard, and i cant say for sure how much "stuff" will still be attached to the block. If there is more i need to grab, this would be the time to do it. things like cam covers...etc...

With the eclipse tranny, will i be needing cv shafts from a manual eclipse, or auto galant?

most of the other questions i have i have been finding on older how to's and stickies, vut some of the threads are 10 plus years old....

thanks

Welcome. I apologize in advance for how cluttered my response may appear, since I'm replying from my phone.

For injectors, using the 72's injectors will be the easiest approach without tuning since the ecu isn't scaled for the 74's injectors.

For the cam covers, you'll use the 74 rear. The front cover is your choice since the difference is only cosmetic.

For accesories, you will use what your Galant already has with one exception. The upper alternator bracket. It must be from the 74.

Cv shafts are the same between auto and manual, but you will want the manual's intermediate shaft (or jack shaft depending on terminology)

If you have any other questions along the way feel free to ask.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Thanks for the reply. Im betting that i will end up with a fist full of questions sooner or later. For now ive got a couple of civics that need their butts wiped and sent down the road. Hopefully next week i can begin the tear down and see exactly hat im dealing with. im sure the questions will come up while shoving everything back in....