The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2.4L, At 60mph Coolant Temp 225, 230+ if above 90(F) outside, Seems Too Hot ???

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

2.4L, At 60mph Coolant Temp 225, 230+ if above 90(F) outside, Seems Too Hot ???

I've had 2 professional Coolant System Flushes in the last 2 months.
    Replaced the Thermostat (OEM Temp 190) & Radiator Cap (16lbs) 2 weeks ago

In 80 (F) Weather at 65mph the Coolant Will rise to 226(F) sometimes higher.
    In 90+ the Coolant will climb over 230 at Highway Speeds.

At 40mph or lower, including at Idle, the Coolant temp seldom goes above 215.

So what concerns me is the Highway Speed Temps.

Is 225+ Coolant Temps at Highway Speeds Common or is there something wrong ?

Thanks

Mine stays at around 210-212 max on the highway. It's usually around 203 while moving constantly on the highway. Mine usually goes > 210 in stop and go traffic. How are you measuring your temps? I'm assuming you have the AC on while driving? To check if your thermostat is working correctly carefully touch the lower radiator hose and see if it is warm/hot to the touch similar in temperature to the upper radiator hose. If not, the thermostat is not opening. Secondly, you might want to check to see if your fans are coming on at around 210-212, that's when my radiator fan comes on.

By the Way, Thanks for the Reply.

Sorry for the Delayed Answer, I forgot I had started this Thread.

I Fixed the Heat Problem. After 2 Coolant Flushes and the New Thermostat and no Luck, figured I'd then get a New Radiator. Picked one up on Ebay for $52-Brand New.

Installed the New Radiator, added a Bottle of RMI-25, then topped the system off with new Anti-Freeze.

Now the Coolant System no longer Leaks and I never see the Coolant Temp go over 200(F).

So Turns out it was a Bad Radiator All Along.

Thanks again for the Reply