The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1997 7G Galant Low Miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29

1997 7G Galant Low Miles

So I've been lurking here for a few weeks now, ever since I got my (first) Galant. A 1997 Galant ES. (Also I'm pretty sure theres no such thing as a "gold edition") Picked her up from a janky car place for $1000. Don't think he understood the worth of this thing, being that it only had 76k when I bought it. Shes now at almost 80k. When I got the title it was from like 5 states away and hadn't been altered since 2009 when it apparently had 72k miles. I guess it sat somewhere awhile and ended up at an auction before the salesman. I also believe it was owned by elderly before me because other than the outside cosmetics, the interior is immaculate.
    ANYWAYS, I was here to post some pics and say "Hey, I might need your help with things in the future because I'm not super mechanically intelligent."
    I genuinely love this car already, I believe this is the 4g64 as well.
    If you guys could suggest anything, I'm open to it all.

Here's a full album of pictures on imgur, look at the dents :(((
    http://imgur.com/a/VLApM

Interior does look good, but like you said the outside needs a lot of work but would look great when it's all back to its straight self!
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

I guess the real question for myself right now is after the tune up do I want to start with trying to fix the body or get a CAI and exhaust set up.

Can you do the bodywork yourself? Because truth be told, I would do as much as I can by myself and then farm out the big work to a pro. being that it is a low mileage car I would suggest starting with bodywork, because cai and exhaust make it sound better, but unless it looks good people are just going to see another beat up old Mitsubishi.
    Spend the time fixing issues, get the body parts you want (VR4, after market, etc) and paint it, then do badass mods. Dohc swap if it isn't already. ;)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN

I don't have any tools at all. Are the tools for getting out dings and dents fairly affordable? Because if so I could have the tools to always fix these things, heck I'd charge my friends and get their dings out lol.
    My main thing is that front piece here
    How would I find another one, I'm not even sure what to call it. Or if any other gen parts could replace it.
    And then that side dent my the gas door. It's gonna be a super bi**h.
    It really has no problems right now, and cosmetics are a concern to me, but more of an afterwards thing. Like, I wouldn't mind doing cosmetics last just to have a nice little sleeper temporarily haha
    That DOHC swap tho, mannnnnn maybe a year from now depending on progess. Reminds me, I saw a near perfect 3000GT today and almost cried. My gf just didn't understand.

That rear quarter panel is going to be a major issue. That's professional body man bad.
    That front piece, I'm pretty sure it just unbolts and you can replace it. Body tools aren't expensive, but it's not the cost, it's the experience that's necessary to be a body guy. You can always get the tools and teach yourself, but it takes time to learn. Do literally whatever you want to the car to make it look better, no one looks twice at most midsize Japanese sedans, so if you build it to the tits it'll surprise the hell out of everyone.
    I'm going to start trying to get my hands on dohc swap equipment, so the parts can be had all in one shot.
    I've had so many 3000GTs in my life, I love them. Beautiful ones are really rare, my wife gets it but most people don't. Just have dreams, those cars are cheap right now. ;)

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

You wouldn't happen to know the parts number for that front piece would you? I've found 2 pages which I think may have the part. This one kinda looks like it http://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse....&recommended=1
    Or maybe something on this page http://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...._name=face-bar

I do work full time though, so getting the tools and teaching myself would be a little difficult, but eh maybe I could. I have big dreams for this car, and in the future I will have my hands on a 3000GT that I can baby and maintain until my death bed.
    My first car ever was a lilttle 2000 Mirage...but because of that I have a never ending love for Mitsubishi.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue3000GTguy View Post
    my wife gets it
    You're a lucky guy. My girlfriend is very tolerant of the addiction and even helps me wax/ work on the car when she can.

Alex (I'm assuming this is your name), like Blue said experience is everything when it comes to body work. But there's only one way to gain the experience and that's to dig right in! The first time I attempted body work was a shit show, but I learned a ton and I'm confident that the next time that I have to do it I will be much better off. As for the rear quarter panel, I see a body shop using one of those tools where they weld to the car then pull the dent out. Id pay to have that section worked out but I'm afraid it wont be too cheap..

Quote Originally Posted by Techn0Nut1996 View Post
    You're a lucky guy. My girlfriend is very tolerant of the addiction and even helps me wax/ work on the car when she can.

Alex (I'm assuming this is your name), like Blue said experience is everything when it comes to body work. But there's only one way to gain the experience and that's to dig right in! The first time I attempted body work was a shit show, but I learned a ton and I'm confident that the next time that I have to do it I will be much better off. As for the rear quarter panel, I see a body shop using one of those tools where they weld to the car then pull the dent out. Id pay to have that section worked out but I'm afraid it wont be too cheap..
    You have no idea dude, she's great. Deja Vu would be a scrapyard car if it weren't for her. And my Volvo would be long gone.
    I'm gonna back you up here and agree that the only way to learn is to do it, but my counterpoint to that is that the rear quarter on that car is so bad, most body guys would just cut it out and replace it. The time it would take to get it right, when charged by the hour, is so much more expensive. Those rivet guns you're talking about can be had commercially for a good price, but you also need a slide hammer with the proper attachment to pull the dents. Not saying it isn't a bad idea to learn, but expect to shell out some money for tools and equipment.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

I posted a really long reply last night with links to what I thought I needed but apparently it never posted :o
    My hard work all gone :(
    Oh and yes, I go by Alex :)
    But it sounds like I may get some tools and attempt doing whatever I can to it lol. As long as I don't make it worse then eh alright. I'm just almost afraid I'm dreaming /too/ big with this car. Like a few weeks ago I wrote a list out when I was bored at work lemme find it and put it up here...

Found it: Okay so laugh if you will, I've never worked on a car or wanted to work on a car this bad so some of this might be a bit much..

-Full inspection and tune up (fix or replace anything found wrong at this stage)
    -New headlight casing or holo (I don't think that's possible for the 7g)
    -Redo the exhaust starting at the headers
    -Tint Windows
    -CAI and also fix my a/c lol I keep forgetting that needs fixed. Dunno what it is, recharged it and it was kinda cold a few days and boom nothing.
    -Low profile tires/wheels
    -Coilovers
    -Maybe I'll steal a spoiler from something at the junkyard and throw it on
    -Front bumper with foglight capability
    -Eventually upgrade the sound system and add interior decor lights, maybe do something with the wood finish
    -TURBO :DDD
    -Get the body looking not bad, as we've discussed
    -Paint Job

What else should I be dreaming of?

Quote Originally Posted by alexbarnes313 View Post
    That's a good list! As for what else its really up to you and what you want. If someone thinks your dreams for the car are too much them screw them, a clean 7G would turn a lot of heads at a car meet because hardly anyone has them in good shape anymore!

I already rarely see Galants around my parts. There's a few but they're all 8G.
    I'm just glad I live 5 minutes from work so I can walk if she's ever temporarily out of commission.

I posted a really long reply last night with links to what I thought I needed but apparently it never posted :o
    My hard work all gone :(
    Oh and yes, I go by Alex :)
    But it sounds like I may get some tools and attempt doing whatever I can to it lol. As long as I don't make it worse then eh alright. I'm just almost afraid I'm dreaming /too/ big with this car. Like a few weeks ago I wrote a list out when I was bored at work lemme find it and put it up here...

Found it: Okay so laugh if you will, I've never worked on a car or wanted to work on a car this bad so some of this might be a bit much..

-Full inspection and tune up (fix or replace anything found wrong at this stage)
    -New headlight casing or holo (I don't think that's possible for the 7g)
    -Redo the exhaust starting at the headers
    -Tint Windows
    -CAI and also fix my a/c lol I keep forgetting that needs fixed. Dunno what it is, recharged it and it was kinda cold a few days and boom nothing.
    -Low profile tires/wheels
    -Coilovers
    -Maybe I'll steal a spoiler from something at the junkyard and throw it on
    -Front bumper with foglight capability
    -Eventually upgrade the sound system and add interior decor lights, maybe do something with the wood finish
    -TURBO :DDD
    -Get the body looking not bad, as we've discussed
    -Paint Job

If you think your list is crazy you should see my triple build thread. Three cars. Yes sir.
    Full inspection+ tune up is a damn good point on your list. I would go ahead and assume nothing has ever been changed, due to the mileage, so I would plan on having the timing belt and water pump done professionally. Spark plugs, plug wires, air and fuel filters. Pcv valve, etc. It's also a good idea to have the transmission serviced.
    They make a few after market headlights for the 7g. You just have to look in the right places.
    Exhaust is a good mod for any car. Same with tint and cai. If you're serious about turbo plans I would wait for the exhaust until you turbo, because you'll have to go bigger when you turbo.
    Your ac probably has a leak. Pay someone to diagnose it and fix whatever the issue is yourself, and then have it pumped and charged.
    Wheels, tires, and coilovers, will completely change the look of the car. Good choice.
    The spoiler and bumper thing. Check the Galant VR4 parts out, they're pricey but guaranteed to look good and fit right. Sound system and woof finish choices are great quality of drive mods, but avoid the excess light deal, you'll always regret crazy stuff.
    Your plan seems reasonable, and I can't wait to see what you do with the car.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

I already rarely see Galants around my parts. There's a few but they're all 8G.
    I'm just glad I live 5 minutes from work so I can walk if she's ever temporarily out of commission.
    Get a longboard or something similar, that's what I use to get to school so I don't put miles on my car lol.

Welcome to TGC. That part in front of the hood is what I call a filler panel. It unbolts and directly interchanges 96-98. You can also use 94-95 but would have to swap bumper as well.

7g Dirt Racer- 95 Galant- 4g64,5speed swap, external coil, dohc swap, 60mm t.b., b.s., a.c., p.s. delete, battery relocate.
    7g Street- 94 Galant GS- 2.0 4g63t, awd conversion, auto swap, 98 gsx ecu, fmic, maft, bs delete.
    3g 00 eclipse gt 3.0 at

Thank you all for your input I really appreciate it. I have a good idea of where to start. It'll be a good project.
    But I just ran into an issue. My left blinker is stuck on. In left, neutral, and right. Right does nothing. Hazards work. Brights and normal lights work. This lever may be bunk from what I've read. And I think 8G levers are simple and can be fixed with a screw. Not this one though. Any ideas or do I just need to order the new part?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I don't know about fixing it, maybe a 7g owner can help you there, but if you want to replace it, the factory number is MR277924 and a replacement can be had on Rockauto for about $44+ shipping.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Wish I could just fix it :(
    But update: I put the column cover back on this morning and pulled the signal fuse out. No turn signals at all for the moment Yay! Lol
    But now my SRS light is on, just from taking off that cover I suppose... - sigh-

I thought I'd posted an update already buuuuut guess not.
    The SRS light is on only because of that fuse being pulled. Currently riding around using hand signals.
    Also someone almost slammed me going into employee parking at work so I had to floor it and do a wicked power slide during shift change.
    😎

For safety and responsibility's sake I urge you to replace the switch.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast