The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tow weight limit

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Tow weight limit

So theoretically if I were to purchase a small pop up like the one pictured, would my 7G be capable? How bad would it be on the trans?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Check your vehicle towing capacity, which should be listed on a website for a hitch manufacturer such as Kurt. I want to say it is going to be rather low, around 800 lb or less. As long as the type of trailer you are looking at has a tongue weight lower than that rating, you should be able to safely tow it. The real problems you run into are A.) Whether or not your braking system is sufficient to stop the load combined with your car, and B.) The health of your transmission. If your transmission is healthy, add a quality transmission oil cooler, and install a transmission fluid temperature gauge. Make sure you have the transmission flushed before you even attempt any Towing, because it is likely it has never been done. Do not forget that adding a transmission oil cooler increases the fluid capacity, so make sure you add extra to compensate after the fluid has had an opportunity to cycle, because once the system is full it will be about a quart and a half to 2 quarts low. Also, try to find a trailer in your weight class with trailer brakes, and install a brake controller in the car. Those are Universal items for the most part, and require a little bit of effort to make them work, but will greatly increase the safety of your endeavor. I drive a diesel F350 for work everyday with a 2100 lb trailer with 4,000 pounds of load on it and my truck sometimes has issues braking. I would just be very careful with the amount of load you place on a car without additional braking.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN

Very informative and helpful! Thanks Blue! I actually do plan to have the transmission inspected if it for some reason isn't part of my full inspection I have scheduled. I have a feeling there's gonna be a lot of issues found that I'll have to repair before even getting tuned. It's a long road, but a great car to put on it. And now I know that towing small loads is a reasonable possibility for the future!

I love my Galants, and I've seen people do some crazy stuff with them, like towing other cars! Just make sure that whatever you do with your car, you do it safely. And don't buy a trailer without hooking it up to your car and seeing how it affects the ride height. If it squats you down too far, also a no-go.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

Right, so it's gonna be a completely different setup than what I'm trying for now. Currently trying to lower... It's not wise to lower without low pros is it?

You can do it, it's not an issue. The problem is the same with or without low profile tires, which is how low you go on how wide of a tire.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

If you plan on towing, a set of adjustable coilovers would be a good idea, because you could change your rear suspension in a matter of a few minutes to an hour, to compensate for ride quality changes. Just be warned that overloading suspension can cause it to fail prematurely.

The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    Check my website JYN

If you are auto I wouldn't do it these are weak pos units just with normal driving. If you tow it much at all expect to replace the rear springs. I towed other cars with a slightly smaller car and had to change out springs with the wagon version when my originals became too weak.

7g Dirt Racer- 95 Galant- 4g64,5speed swap, external coil, dohc swap, 60mm t.b., b.s., a.c., p.s. delete, battery relocate.
    7g Street- 94 Galant GS- 2.0 4g63t, awd conversion, auto swap, 98 gsx ecu, fmic, maft, bs delete.
    3g 00 eclipse gt 3.0 at

The coilovers are literally perfect for it, which is my plan but I'm changing plans to budget for now so I'll be getting lowering springs and struts until the money rolls in better.
    The transmission is always in my head every time I drive. I hate it. It's like something that started after driving manual, constantly thinking about how well the auto trans is shifting or how poorly. That wagon version idea is pretty clever though, nice job with that.
    Heres a few pics of my car right now and what I'm dealing with. My rear passenger side wheel well is kinda fucky, if I have passengers in the back and I take a left turn too hard the wheel scrapes that shit and God it sounds bad.
    I might be able to just take the wheel off and hammer it up, but I've yet to try.