The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alternator Question Swapping a 6G75 alternator onto a 6G72

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Alternator Question Swapping a 6G75 alternator onto a 6G72

2003 Galant GTZ Having issues running a stereo since I upgraded the amp and subs, Have 2 Polk Audio DXI 12" DVC Subs and an Old Sony 1200W amp, Front speakers are currenlly run of the head unit and the infinity system is disconnected. when I turn it up the headlights dim with only the stereo, engine, and the lights running.

I've already done the Big 3 Upgrade, but I also replaced the upper engine ground and the battery to fuse box run, have all brand new 4GA cable throughout, Still have the 6GA amp wiring as I have not had time to put the new amp wiring in. New amp wiring is 4GA. Battery is only 6 months old its an Interstate.

Basically Mileage is 192K now, is the old alternator just getting weak. Im wondering if 85amps is just not enough. Now I was at a local yard today and they have a 2004 6G75 Galant, The alternator brackets are different, but the plugs on the alternator match our 85amp alternator, the newer model is 110 amps. Trying to figure out if i get the alternator and the brackets if the brackets will bolt to the 6G72 no problem. The front metal bracket is part of the timing cover and the motor mount bolts to it, but the motor mount pattern is the same, Having done timing belts on both my 6G72 and My 6G74 Endeavor the block face seems to have the same bolt pattern. Any reason this wont work?

Currently planning this weekend to go back and pull the alternator and all brackets, since there's also, a 02 3G gt there thats mostly pulled apart i was going to make sure it all bolts up while there.

Considered pulling the whole motor to swap, The motor and trans is good, Just not sure I would have the time to compete it, and I have to have Cell off for Smog here, In PA. How difficult is the 6G75 Swap if I keep the auto trans, Want the manual trans but being an 03 Im guessing I would need a totaled 3g to pull everything I need to swap with no cell.

The alternator bracket should be what you need to make it work. Hopefully M-Rod will chime in and give you his wisdom.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN

Yeah mechanically I think it will bolt up, and I could adjust the bracket worst case if needed with a grinder. The plug is 4 wire just wondering if it will throw a cel, not sure what the 4 wires are for.

Finally got back to this, I went back to the yard, I pulled an alt off a 2004 Endeavor and all the mounting hardware, the last bracket requires removing the timing belt. I have a timing belt to replace soon so I will probably do the swap then, other than that all lines up from what i have tried.

Yes it will bolt up perfectly fine with the 75 bracket, it's def a worthy upgrade.

Yeah as soon as I have time I will try it, more amps are needed. Sent you a PM since I see you have an 03 GTZ like me about a 5 spd swap.