The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: JDM Tail Light Wiring PICS!

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

JDM Tail Light Wiring PICS!

So guys, I have a set of third generation JDM tail lights, and I have spent a few days trying to find pictures of the wiring, much to no avail. Thanks to Photobucket being cockwomblers, now we have to hunt old information. No more! I have pictures and a how-to. ;)
    So, the first picture in this thread is great, except it didn't actually apply to me. It was mostly correct, but I had a wire not mentioned. I had a solid red wire on my round red lens housing, that wasn't similar to anything on the stock usdm harness However, looking at the type of bulb and placement, I have come to the conclusion that the light is supposed to be a running light, so the red wire is supposed to be a green/white. I found this second photo, which was what helped me solve this issue.
    So, simply add your red wire if equipped to the green and white wires. Everything else does indeed cross straight to the usdm plug.
    I trimmed my harness plugs down to make them less bulky, because I wanted to use the stock JDM wire grommet. I'm going to see if I can't find some plugs on another car somewhere that don't have that big ass collar.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    The fleet:
    88 Volvo 245 DL
    91 Mitsubishi 3000GT SL
    98 Volvo V70
    01 Kia Sportage 4x4
    01 Mitsubishi Galant LS V6 "Deja Vu"
    Check my website JYN

nice write up glad to see fourms still live on i actually needed this info lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blue3000GTguy View Post
    So guys, I have a set of third generation JDM tail lights, and I have spent a few days trying to find pictures of the wiring, much to no avail. Thanks to Photobucket being cockwomblers, now we have to hunt old information. No more! I have pictures and a how-to. ;)
    So, the first picture in this thread is great, except it didn't actually apply to me. It was mostly correct, but I had a wire not mentioned. I had a solid red wire on my round red lens housing, that wasn't similar to anything on the stock usdm harness However, looking at the type of bulb and placement, I have come to the conclusion that the light is supposed to be a running light, so the red wire is supposed to be a green/white. I found this second photo, which was what helped me solve this issue.
    So, simply add your red wire if equipped to the green and white wires. Everything else does indeed cross straight to the usdm plug.
    I trimmed my harness plugs down to make them less bulky, because I wanted to use the stock JDM wire grommet. I'm going to see if I can't find some plugs on another car somewhere that don't have that big ass collar.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Nice writeup, one correction though. I believe the true jdm wiring has the round housing as brake light and the running light is the bigger section that also acts as a dual purpose (running/brakes) so you have two for brakes on each housing.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Gentlemen, what pigtails/bulb sockets should I use for jdm tail light?
    Anything I can buy in US? Any compatible?

Quote Originally Posted by daman2fear View Post
    7440 and 7443
    Thank you.
    I already contacted UK community to check partnumbers and yes they also confirmed what you mentioned.
    I see 7440 and 7443 pigtails but some of them got two wires only.
    Can I do a workaround with 2 wires pigtail or I have to go 3 like USDM got?

Thanks in advance

7440 is single filament, so only 2 wires, 7443 is dual filament, so it will have 3 wires.

the 7443 pigtail should have 3 wires, if not its a 7440 pigtail, which they both fit, but you will need 7443 pigtails for the brake lights, as its brake and parking on the dual filament

Quote Originally Posted by daman2fear View Post
    7440 is single filament, so only 2 wires, 7443 is dual filament, so it will have 3 wires.

the 7443 pigtail should have 3 wires, if not its a 7440 pigtail, which they both fit, but you will need 7443 pigtails for the brake lights, as its brake and parking on the dual filament
    Thank you very much for info.
    Ordered a pair of 7443 pigtails to test.

My 3rd gen JDM tails got 4 bulb sections (turn, rear, brake, parking) vs USDM got 3 only (turn, rear, parking+brake).
    Is there any way to split or I should just use one of either (parking or brake) with 2F bulb?

Thanks

It depends if you want to run them exactly. How the jdm galants run them or if you want do your own style.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R