The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine Pinging no knock sensor?

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Engine Pinging no knock sensor?

I have a 02 2.4 I am experiencing a lot of pinging at 1/2 throttle at 3,000-3,700 RPM's but it will not do it at wide open throttle I am pretty sure it is pinging AKA spark knock. I have been looking to figure out why. I have put in new spark plugs, wires, coil boots, o2 sensors about 4,000 miles ago. I rechecked them and all looks good I gapped the plugs to factory specs. I have done a compression test on all four cylinders at operating temp and with it at full throttle they were all at 160 psi and no leak down. I looked at the piston with a bore scope and it did not look to carboned up. I also cleaned the MAF with the correct cleaner. Then I put sea foam spray down the intake then let it sit for 20 min then took it out for a hard drive at full throttle to break some carbon out. It seams to do it more when it is hot out. I am using 87 octane with Lucas upper cylinder lube and injector cleaner for years now because of the oil consumption. I am tomorrow going to take the EGR valve off and see if the tube or it is clogged. Has anyone on had this happen to them? I am trying for the life of me to find the dam knock sensor to test it but I cannot find it at all I looked at the back of the block near the oil sensor and there is nothing. Did they put the knock sensor somewhere weird? And here is a video of the live data and it has no CEL. Thanks Guys

https://youtu.be/a1-_nqZxJFE
    93 MR2

Update: I checked the timing while at idle at operation temp and it was at 10 BTDC. I took the EGR valve off and it worked sealed when closed and given vacuum it opens and flows. I took the injectors off and the spray pattern looks good on all the injectors. Changed the MAF with a spare one and changed the cam position sensor with a extra one. I also reset the computer. I don't know what the f to do. At this point I can only point at carbon causing high compression but I tested it and it was at 160 PSI and I do not think that enough pressure to cause knock. There is no knock sensor if I look it up for an Eclipse they have one but the Galant does not and I cannot find one. I am just going to run 91 octane and see if it helps but I have to run this gas out first. Any thoughts would be nice.
    93 MR2

So update I checked everything but could not find anything. But when I sprayed aerosol Seafoam right before the throttle body it pissed the car off. It started surging up and down 800 RPM's down to 400 ish RPM's. So I fried the idle control valve. But I have always herd a noise out of the engine bay and what it was is the idle control valve trying to open up and striping gears. So it has been going bad for a long time. Since the last update I put in new spark plugs, sprayed water in the engine, put high octane in, cleaned the throttle with carb cleaner, and a junk yard idle control valve. Now the car does not ping my guess was either the plugs were screwed up causing a ping maybe so I just changed them or the carbon got blown off the cylinders with the water or it the high octane. Next tank will be low octane to make sure it went away. But I know have a new problem, it is idling at 1,100K RPM's with several different idle control valves. My guess is the previous owner screwed the idle screw in or out to much witch changed the throttle position at idle. In the video about near the second half you can see the throttle at 1.2 percent but should it say 0 percent at idle?
    Last edited by tdybear09; 09-11-2017 at 12:29 AM
    93 MR2

I looked at the TPS and someone has moved it from the factory settings. so I just adjusted it until it idled where I want it. So no more pinging and good idle.
    93 MR2

most likely the 93 octane fixed it. Pinging (knock) usually happens when the engine runs lean. Low octane could cause this, but it has to be lower than 87. Bad front (upper) O2 sensor can do this as well. So if I were you I'd consider looking at fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump. After 15 years its very possible for them to give out. Stay away from using seafoam in the intake manifold. Its just not a good idea. You wanna clean something then take it apart and clean it.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread