The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brakes are spongy

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Brakes are spongy

So I just changed my rotors and brake pads and also drained the old brake fluid and put new brake fluid. I’ve bled the brakes a few times but I still have to put the brake pedal all the way to the floor to stop all the way! Someone please tell me what I need to do

Are you sure all the air is out of the lines? I'd check the fluid level and if its low you have a leak. I always bed the brakes after a rotor/pad change as well. It's possible you have a stuck caliper so only one side is working, does the car pull to the right/left when you brake?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Quote Originally Posted by Techn0Nut1996 View Post
    Are you sure all the air is out of the lines? I'd check the fluid level and if its low you have a leak. I always bed the brakes after a rotor/pad change as well. It's possible you have a stuck caliper so only one side is working, does the car pull to the right/left when you brake?
    I haven’t really noticed that but I’ll take it for a spin cautiously and see if I can notice anything. Call me stupid but I didn’t bleed my rear brake calipers because I thought that they wouldn’t need it am I wrong? I have a feeling that’s my whole problem

Quote Originally Posted by MasterMatt209 View Post
    I haven’t really noticed that but I’ll take it for a spin cautiously and see if I can notice anything. Call me stupid but I didn’t bleed my rear brake calipers because I thought that they wouldn’t need it am I wrong? I have a feeling that’s my whole problem
    Bleed all corners following the order outlined in the FSM and go from there. If still spongy I'd doublecheck for leaks/ sprayouts as you push down the pedal, could be introducing air through a failing bleeder or hose.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    Bleed all corners following the order outlined in the FSM and go from there. If still spongy I'd doublecheck for leaks/ sprayouts as you push down the pedal, could be introducing air through a failing bleeder or hose.
    I’ve bleed them starting with the passenger rear, then driver rear, then passenger front, then driver front. No difference in the peddle. I drove it and I’m order to stop pedal has to go to the floor. I also notice something going on with the front driver wheel I think, because it like shakes while I’m driving now. Really don’t want to have to take it to a shop but might have to. All I did was swap pads and rotors

Also I did drain my brake fluid before adding new fluid if that helps at all

I think they shake because they are not bedded yet. But I don’t have the proper braking power to bed them

So I take you didn't find no leaks? You definitely have air in the system. Hate to say it but I would take it to a shop at this point and get a flush - sometimes the machine just does a better job. I'm not sure if I got it right, but if you drained the system completely before filling up again, that is your problem. IIRC even the FSM advises against that as to not to damage the MC. Shaking could be a lot of things - bedding period on new parts shouldn't be it, vibration maybe, but not shaking.
    Last edited by gtx; 09-28-2017 at 09:20 PM

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    So I take you didn't find no leaks? You definitely have air in the system. Hate to say it but I would take it to a shop at this point and get a flush - sometimes the machine just does a better job. I'm not sure if I got it right, but if you drained the system completely before filling up again, that is your problem. IIRC even the FSM advises against that as to not to damage the MC. Shaking could be a lot of things - bedding period on new parts shouldn't be it, vibration maybe, but not shaking.
    I’ve noticed only my driver side front caliper was engaging and my passenger front was not. Turned out to be the piston seal.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterMatt209 View Post
    I’ve noticed only my driver side front caliper was engaging and my passenger front was not. Turned out to be the piston seal.
    Had the same issue on my car but I got rid of it before I ever got around to fixing it. That's why I was was wondering if they were all engaging properly haha.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)