The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1999 Mitsubishi Galant Repair

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    Lizzie

Icon8 1999 Mitsubishi Galant Repair

I have a'99 Galant that is in great need of some TLC. I have already put in a new starter, gasket's, air filters and a camshaft position sensor.. Still the service engine light came on. Any ideas or suggestions?

mitsiboyblue
    Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    What's the code?
    What light are you describing?
    Are refering to the 'ECM' Engine Control Management light?
    If so you need to have the codes read and then get back to us.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Any of the chain auto parts stores (Autozone, Advance Auto, etc) will read the error codes for you for free. If you can tell us what the code is it'll make diagnosing the problem much easier.

Lizzie
    I found out that the O2 sensor needs to be cleaned and/or replaced. Before I buy one can anyone tell me what's the best way to clean it up first and the location of the two.

Do you have a 4 cylinder or a V6?

mitsiboyblue
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    I found out that the O2 sensor needs to be cleaned and/or replaced. Before I buy one can anyone tell me what's the best way to clean it up first and the location of the two.
    Which engine are you running 2.0 letre 4 cilinder or V6 2.5 letre?
    You need diagnosis / code reader tool and reset the the DTC code in ECM with that tool.
    But do you have any more information regarding the O2 sensor code?
    It is possible to clear but just might just come back if the sensor is faulty.
    * The sensor needs to show 'Activity' (feed back readings to be going up and down as data back to the ECU as judgement criteria) otherwise it will be fail as inactive.
    * Or the O2 heater has gone 'open circuit' or short/ bad connection etc.
    In both cases you will need to replace the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by mitsiboyblue View Post
    Which engine are you running 2.0 letre 4 cilinder or V6 2.5 letre?
    You need diagnosis / code reader tool and reset the the DTC code in ECM with that tool.
    But do you have any more information regarding the O2 sensor code?
    It is possible to clear but just might just come back if the sensor is faulty.
    * The sensor needs to show 'Activity' (feed back readings to be going up and down as data back to the ECU as judgement criteria) otherwise it will be fail as inactive.
    * Or the O2 heater has gone 'open circuit' or short/ bad connection etc.
    In both cases you will need to replace the sensor.

Just to clarify a 1999 here in the US is a 2.4 I4 or a 3.0 V6. Now if he replaced a camshaft sensor on the car already, that will be a I4, as on the V6 it's part of the distributor.

The cause of this on mine is injector 2 circuit to the ECM open circuit. Hence, it is tapped from injector 1. The check engine light fault code remains permanent