The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New EGR valve went bad with P0401 code after only 9k miles.

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

New EGR valve went bad with P0401 code after only 9k miles.

So, I've been getting P0401 code for almost two years now. The mechanic diagnosed an intermittent EGR valve sticking. That's why it went on and off. About 8 months ago I replaced it with the new EGR that I found on Amazon (suspiciously cheaper than everywhere else, just $50). The mechanic got it installed, but now, after 9k miles and 8 months, I get the same P0401 code. Did I take a stupid gamble by not paying for the $200 EGR that the mechanic was going to sell to me instead? At least he would back it up when it failed. I think it is a retorical question.
    Yet, could there be any hidden reason for a new EGR valve to go bad no matter what the quality?

Yeah, get oem when you can, even used parts are fine on a lot of things still, or whatever you can find at a local parts store with decent warranty. Wouldn't pay $200 for it, you can find them for a lot less if you shop around, and it's very easy to install by yourself.

So, after 7K the new EGR from O'Reilly Auto Parts failed, this one supposed to be a lifetime part of a good quality. What is going on? Why my EGR valves keep on failing?

Don't sweat it too much, If you are 100% sure it's the valve and not the solenoid, you got warranty, have it replaced. It's retail, it's about profit margins, sometimes it's a hit or miss. Hard to beat oem for quality - I still prefer parts that are made in Japan or the EU when initial buyin is not a concern. Is it a V6 or I4 anyways, I have a few in the garage for a V6 if you want to buy one, I never had to replace a factory one for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    Don't sweat it too much, If you are 100% sure it's the valve and not the solenoid, you got warranty, have it replaced. It's retail, it's about profit margins, sometimes it's a hit or miss. Hard to beat oem for quality - I still prefer parts that are made in Japan or the EU when initial buyin is not a concern. Is it a V6 or I4 anyways, I have a few in the garage for a V6 if you want to buy one, I never had to replace a factory one for failure.
    Thank you for the offer. I thought that the solenoid is integrated into EGR on my Galant ES (I4 engine). The mechanic (Sears) is out of business. So, I guess I'm screwed as far as proving the origin of a generic EGR. What a pest EGR is on the Galant! Or does it really take a $270 Mitsubishi EGR to make it work for longer than passing emmision control?