The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2003 2.4L bad oil leak

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

2003 2.4L bad oil leak

Put it on ramps today and found this oil leak. The oil level doesn’t drop though. Looking to see where it’s leaking from any help is appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by justin13 View Post
    Anyone?
    Did you do what was suggested in the fb group? There's is no other way of knowing, other than cleaning the area first and observing for a couple days. You'd want that clean anyways, get a rug lightly soaked in gas and start wiping it off, just don't get it on rubber or plastic parts, than rinse lightly or use a degreaser. Even the youngest 8g is 15 years old now, so if the engine wasn't gone through before, I can guarantee it's actually leaking from multiple locations. The valve cover gasket is #1 normaly, and a fresh oil cap gasket is also recommended. Looking at the pictures (rust, rusting bolts) I'd do the oil pan gasket as well. Again, these are easy and cheap to do. Beyond that, the camshaft seals are also a usual suspect, obviously that's more involved and I'd do it while doing a timing belt job. Good luck!

2003 2.4L bad oil leak

Thanks this was a little more detailed than the fb page will do that if it don’t rain this weakened. And I did the Valve cover gasket and pcv at 160800 other than that I know little of what was done to it. Thanks again

And if I may ask how much and hard would a timing belt job be
    Last edited by justin13; 06-08-2018 at 06:14 PM

Quote Originally Posted by justin13 View Post
    Thanks this was a little more detailed than the fb page will do that if it don’t rain this weakened. And I did the Valve cover gasket and pcv at 160800 other than that I know little of what was done to it. Thanks again

And if I may ask how much and hard would a timing belt job be
    No problem. The one and only time I had the dealer do it on my first Galant, it cost me $1300, but that was over 10 years ago and it was a V6. (I've been doing my own stunts since lol) If your doing your own work, you can get a Gates timing belt kit under $200 (plus whatever else you need to replace, plugs, wires etc) and I'd set aside a full day if you haven't done it before.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    No problem. The one and only time I had the dealer do it on my first Galant, it cost me $1300, but that was over 10 years ago and it was a V6. (I've been doing my own stunts since lol) If your doing your own work, you can get a Gates timing belt kit under $200 (plus whatever else you need to replace, plugs, wires etc) and I'd set aside a full day if you haven't done it before.
    I’d probably have it done by someone because this is my first and no one I know has ever messed with anything timing before. I would just be afraid of screwing stuff up that I couldn’t fix.