The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2002 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ V6 3L AT

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

2002 Mitsubishi Galant GTZ V6 3L AT

I bought it for $650.00, and because of the repairs needs vs cost vs time, I had planned on driving it until it died. It had just over 259,000 miles on it, and I just passed 280,000 miles! I have done just the minimum in repairs/restoration to the vehicle besides brakes and used tires. At the time, I could barely afford a car. But, she's help up much longer than expected! I need a new suspension. And my exhaust is falling apart. Need new catalytic coverters, spark plugs, O2 sensors, but the motor feels strong and the transmission shifts good, sometimes a short delay between 1st and 2nd gear when it's cold.

I've been told to get rid of it, and not to invest in it, but despite the way it looks and the repairs it needs, I love the feel of the car.

There's some rust underneath that concerns me, and if any one can point me in the right direction or place where I can can get that evaluated by a professional because that would be a good reason to just get rid of the car.

Also, how far can this engine go? I'm shocked by the milage. I made the decision to use full synthetic, Mobile 1 High Mileage. I guess the question is it worth staying with it? I haven't gotten a compression test yet. It burns a little oil, probably a quart every 2 to 2 1/2 weeks..

Here's a video of it running:
    https://youtu.be/sFqGRpo9Urc

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by EvolveFiRE; 06-21-2018 at 10:01 AM

It doesn't look absolutely horrible, lol. Did you post a pic of the rust you are concerned about? Also, if you are burning that much oil every couple weeks, I would have it checked out at a reputable shop in your area. Depending on what they find, they may be able to tell you for certain if it is worth putting more money into it to fix it, or if it makes more sense to move on. That's where I would start. No sense in dumping money into the rest of the repairs if the engine isn't worth fixing.

I mean... everything is fixable as long as you're willing to fix it. I love the color of the car, it makes me miss mine. If it helps with your decision at all, cosmetically yours is in way better shape than all of the 8g Galants in my area combined. Hows the interior holding up after 280k miles?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)