The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine froze, now it won't start. 2000 ES 2.4L

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Engine froze, now it won't start. 2000 ES 2.4L

Back in December we had a real bad snow storm and the front of my 2000 ES 2.4L got covered in snow. I cleared out around the car and hit the remote start to warm it up so I could move it. It wouldn't start.

I cleared out the rest of the snow, got in it and tried to start it but it would only crank. So I popped the hood and found that snow had somehow gotten up under the front of the car and covered the whole engine.

Snow covered engine: https://imgur.com/a/YmctPSG

It hasn't run since. It'll crank but won't fire up. I've checked:
    - Got spark? Yes. Even tried changing the plugs and coils.
    - Got fuel? Yes. Even tried using some starter fluid right but it won't even pretend to start.
    - Got air? Yes
    - Timing belt still in one piece? Yes. I pulled the top cover off and it's all there and it spins when cranking.
    - Got compression? Yes, it's consistent across all 4 cylinders.
    - Replaced the cam sensor. No difference.
    - No codes are being recorded.
    - Changed the fuel pump relay. No difference.

So now that it's warmer I've got some time to work on it but am not sure what I should be looking for.

Could the timing belt have jumped a tooth? What would the symptoms be? Would it be harder to crank? Would it be making funky noises?
    Could the crank sensor have gone bad?

I bought a beater to get around but really like the Galant and want to get it running again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by mikelbeck; 07-19-2018 at 08:18 AM

Do a compression test first. If it sucked in a bunch of snow or water in intake its possible to have bent valves , engines don't like to compress water. Then hand turn your engine over with top timing cover off watching timing belt make sure upper and lower marks are lined up.

7g Dirt Racer- 95 Galant- 4g64,5speed swap, external coil, dohc swap, 60mm t.b., b.s., a.c., p.s. delete, battery relocate.
    7g Street- 94 Galant GS- 2.0 4g63t, awd conversion, auto swap, 98 gsx ecu, fmic, maft, bs delete.
    3g 00 eclipse gt 3.0 at

Quote Originally Posted by w/oarctic7g View Post
    Do a compression test first. If it sucked in a bunch of snow or water in intake its possible to have bent valves , engines don't like to compress water. Then hand turn your engine over with top timing cover off watching timing belt make sure upper and lower marks are lined up.
    Compression is good and consistent across all 4 cylinders.