The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine Vibration, not mounts or plugs

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Engine Vibration, not mounts or plugs

So I have a 2000 Galant that's been worked on by a few different people. She's got 265,000 miles, New plugs, new wires, New coil packs, new head gasket, new water pump, new timing belt, new engine mounts, fresh oil change, and a bad engine vibration between 10-25mph and 50-60mph almost consistently. It also shakes in reverse, to the point that you can hear the muffler pipe hitting underneath the car. She's shut off on me about once a week, generally when I'm about to take off from a red light or when I'm about to back up. If I go to ease on to the gas, she shuts off, but if I punch it, she hesitates and I have to let off the gas and then get back on it. When it vibrates, it also uses up more gas. I bought a new crankshaft position sensor, but wanted to be sure that's what's actually wrong before I go through the trouble of taking everything apart and then wondering what to do next if it doesn't fix the issue. Also, when she's warming up the idle doesn't seem to know where it should be. It'll be high, then drop really low, shake a little, then jump back up. The check engine light is not on, only comes on while starting, then shuts off seconds after she starts.

sounds like timing is off

also check your torque converter, mine vibrated and later the trans went out

It shakes when I'm stopped as well and acts like it doesn't know where the rpms should be. The first guy that took her apart screwed the timing up to the point that it took him two months just to get her running like shit, the other guy got her running better. Any diagrams, tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated