The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Keyless Entry

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    biga01

Keyless Entry

Hello all- pardon me if this has been posted before, but upon searching I didnt find anything. I am wondering about adding keyless entry to my 94 galant. i've seen one on crutchfield and a couple other of places, so i was wondering if anyone has done this and has any reccomendations. also, how hard would it be to take on something like this? thanks for the input.

Experienced TGC Member
    What's up and Welcome to TGC

A keyless entry system is not a big task if you are comfortable taking out a few dash peices and messing with some wires.

I installed mine last summer as it was part of my auto-start system (a must for Alaska weather). I don't want to discourage you but I have to say the the keyless entry portion was by far the most difficult. The wires you will need to tap into for an aftermarket keyless sytem are amazingly difficult to get to. They are waaaay in the back near the firewall and up behind the dashboard. I had to take my driver's side seat out just to get to them comfortably. The wiring instructions should come with the unit so I'll leave that be.

I just want to give you a heads up on it, it's not easy, but not impoosible either. Give yourself a weekend to get it done.

Wes
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

spdrcr5
    I work at Circuit City, I got mine installed there. If you want to get lazy about it, like I did, installation is around $100 takes about 3-4 hours for the installers. My keyless and remote start combo cost about $100 retail.
    Thats just a bit of info if you want someone else to do it.

Experienced TGC Member
    Its really not that hard of a task, its just time consuming. Ive seen some keyless entry packages that are just that, locks n unlocks the door, with no alarm feature, that will be very easy to install. The more complicated the package you buy, the more wiring you'll have to do, and the more time it takes to run wires and stuff.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

biga01
    Hey everyone, thanks for your comments. Wes, I was wondering, are the wires I will need to tap in to for the keyless entry up above and to the left of the fuse box? Like right up on the left side of the drivers side?
    Also, I was just curious about what you used to make the wire connections. I saw some 3M inline wire taps and I was thinking of using those.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(biga01)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey everyone, thanks for your comments. Wes, I was wondering, are the wires I will need to tap in to for the keyless entry up above and to the left of the fuse box? Like right up on the left side of the drivers side? Â*
    Also, I was just curious about what you used to make the wire connections. I saw some 3M inline wire taps and I was thinking of using those.

Thanks,
    Aaron</div>

That's pretty much exactly where they are Aaron. It is kind of a bitch to get at them though.
    I just used the plain ol' 16 gauge wire taps from the hardware store, worked like a charm. Good luck bro :thumbsup:
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

biga01
    Hello again,
    I had another quick question - with my keyless entry it says there is another wire that can connect to the passenger door locks, and when you push 'unlock' a second time it unlocks the rest of the doors. Is this necessary with our car, or when tapping in to the unlock wire, will it unlock ALL doors? I was just curious about that, because I know when inserting the key in the door, one turn unlocks the drivers side and another unlocks the rest of the doors.

Also, just a quick question, did you fix yours up to do trunk release with the remote too?

Thanks,
    A

Experienced TGC Member
    uhm lemme see, when push unlock on the remote it unlocks the driver side, hit unlock again and all the doors unlock. The wire you're talkin about does both I think.. It should be orange if I can remember.

I didn't find a way for the trunk release considering there is no electrical switch for mine, it's just a tether realease thingy.

Sorry to be so vauge but it's hard to remember. :?
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

biga01
    Well, thanks again for all of your info! I'm going to go give it my best shot

biga01
    Wes, I just wanted to say THANK YOU! I got my keyless entry going tonight. Those wires were freakin impossible to get to, but I managed. Now hopefully the wire taps stay secure because I sure don't wanna be messin with those again soon. I'm getting my power trunk release tomorrow so I'll be bustin that up with my remote too. Thanks again for your help.
    A

Experienced TGC Member
    Right on man, glad to hear it worked out. :thumbsup:

Have fun w/ such incredible convenience...

Wes
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

post pics when ur done