The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MOST COMMON PROBLEMS?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    clone2020

MOST COMMON PROBLEMS?

For those of you who own/work-on 8G Galants, what are the most common problems?

1. Brakes - Warped Rotors, High Pitch noises...
    2. Vibrations - Steering wheel, door panels, dash, glove box...
    3. Road/Wind Noise - Noise occurs mainly during highway speeds...
    4. Transmission - Poor Shifting, ATF thermal breakdown...
    5. Electrical - Fuses & relays blow... (driver side & under hood)
    6. Idle Problems - Dirty throttle body/Carbon build up...
    7. Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (lifters) - ticking increases with rpms...
    8. HVAC - ???
    9. Radiator Hose - Coolant leakage at hose openings. (replace clamps)
    10. Headlights - Some aftermarket high wattage bulbs can overheat...
    11. Seat Belts - don't retract
    14. Lights - Dash and Climate control LEDs blow out
    17. Doors/Windows - Water leakage causing bad smell

I'm trying to compile a "Top 20" list of problems. I'll edit the list as more people contribute.

Senior TGC Member
    My seat belts retracted perfectly, I never had idle problems, no vibrations either. I did have the common insane amount of rattles throughout the car, and many odd failures though those experiences are not shared by anyone on this board.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

You left off the most important and popular one on the board...Brakes, especially warped rotors. Luckily, the only thing I've had is glovebox problems.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

i haven't seen this one in a while but the older members might remember this. and its lifter tick. mostly on the v6's. i havne't seen this issue in a while but my car is sitting at the dealers getitng that problem fixed so i had to remember.

another thing is see is problems due to mods. like SES from installing an intake, fying the headlight harness from installing high wattage bubls and stuff like that.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

clone2020
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    i haven't seen this one in a while but the older members might remember this. and its lifter tick. mostly on the v6's. i havne't seen this issue in a while but my car is sitting at the dealers getitng that problem fixed so i had to remember.

another thing is see is problems due to mods. like SES from installing an intake, fying the headlight harness from installing high wattage bubls and stuff like that.
    I've had 2 of 4 mitsu vehicles have the hydraulic lash adjuster (lifter) tick problem. I'd try to clean them first, then if that didn't fix it, I would just replace them. They cost around $10 each.

Senior TGC Member
    Hmm...maybe that's what my car had. How do you identify lifter tick? Everything ticked under the hood practically :?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Gilhuly
    It's the loudest ticking noise right underneath the valve cover(s) which is in line with rpms.

I think that water pump would be inaccurate and that shitty hose clamps is really the usual where people lose coolant "mysteriously".

Senior TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilhuly
    I think that water pump would be inaccurate and that shitty hose clamps is really the usual where people lose coolant "mysteriously".
    Yeah the first thing the dealership did to my car on my first oil change was replace all the plastic black clamps with new stainless steel ones free of charge. They didn't want problems later.

I just got the shakes and ivrbrations, plus problem with my freaking temp control now.

clone2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Cxshortie
    I just got the shakes and ivrbrations, plus problem with my freaking temp control now.
    Can you be more descriptive? What's wrong with your temp controls?

I would say vibrations.

and road noise

Experienced TGC Member
    don't forget the stinky windows. like sometimes when i roll my window down, it'll come up a little moist and smell like stagnent water. so somehow there is water getting in my door and sitting there. I remember this coming up on the board a while back, but i forget what all has to be done to remove it. It doesn't do it all the time, but does even like a few hours after I finish washing my car. eewwww
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver22
    don't forget the stinky windows. like sometimes when i roll my window down, it'll come up a little moist and smell like stagnent water. so somehow there is water getting in my door and sitting there. I remember this coming up on the board a while back, but i forget what all has to be done to remove it. It doesn't do it all the time, but does even like a few hours after I finish washing my car. eewwww
    if you look at the weather stripping on the bottom of the front passenger and driver door you'll notice it's really easy to peel away from the metal. Water get in this way. Use a baffle for your speaker.

L

I have one . . .
    How about those dash bulbs that blow out occasionally? I owned my car for 3 years now, and have probably replaced every major bulb (158) in the dash.

escoson
    brakes started squeling 2 weeks ago im going to do aem big brake kit soon. if someone has link t online source to buy it pm me plz