The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: loud clicking deep knocking noise

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    xSILENTx

loud clicking deep knocking noise

My engine has started making a loud knocking noise when its idle and is there for a few secionds then stops and starts agian. iF anyone know what this might be let me know so i can fix it myself instead of sending it to a mechanic.

Gen7es

Clicking Noise

FYI
    Your problem is not unusual to Galants, unfortunately.
    I'm guessing here but, I think the noise you hear is closer to a clicking
    or even ticking sound. If that is the case, you might need to get your
    lifters adjusted or replaced and I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but, that is kinda' an involved task. Most 'Bishi's develop this problem sooner or later.
    In the mean time, one thing you can do is get your oil changed regulary and replace one quart with a product called Rislone. A lot of Galant owners swear by this stuff and rightfully so, you'll notice a substantial reduction in noise.
    I hope this helps kinda' sorta'.
    if you need more info send me a message

Chaz
    Learn, Share, Drive!

Lifters

If it is the lifters. Replacement may not be necessary. I had the lifter tick when I first bought my car 2 years ago. I just used synthetic oils during oil changes and some slick 50 and other products like that and it went away.

Jaxus
    Another alternative, for those of us that don't USUALLY put the premium in our tanks, is, about every 5th tank or so, give it some of the good stuff. Premium gasoline has a few more octane, sure, but it also has more detergents in it that help with pinging and knocking, et cetera. I personally just use the midgrade and then every 3rd tank or so give it a bottle of octane boost, my car is narrowing in on the 100,000 mile mark, and it runs fine.

smonijhay
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jaxus)</div><div class='quotemain'>Another alternative, for those of us that don't USUALLY put the premium in our tanks, is, about every 5th tank or so, give it some of the good stuff. Â*Premium gasoline has a few more octane, sure, but it also has more detergents in it that help with pinging and knocking, et cetera. Â*I personally just use the midgrade and then every 3rd tank or so give it a bottle of octane boost, my car is narrowing in on the 100,000 mile mark, and it runs fine.</div>

Yeah this is very good to do. I talked with a Mechanical Engineering professor who designs engines. He recommended at least once a month to run premium thru the tanks. It burns hotter, so it can act as a fuel tank, fuel line cleaner. Of course it can be dangerous to put it in all the time, if the car isn't supposed to have it. It can mess up your fuel injector.

xSILENTx
    i'll have to check those out and try using a higher grade gas.

thanks

Experienced TGC Member
    Putting premium in a car not designed to use it is just a waste of money. Regular gas has the same detergents premium does, and premium wont burn correctly in your engine anyway so your just pissin away cash.

As for lifter tick, a half a quater of tranny fluid in the oil 200 miles before your next oil chage keeps the tick away, detergents in the trany fluid clean out everything...
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Jaxus
    LMAO, you say don't use premium, but put TRANSMITION FLUID in your oil? Ok, crackhead. I'd never do something hairbrained like that.

Experienced TGC Member
    Ok so dont do it and keep your ticking. Dont be rude when your new here and you dont know the people you are talking to and how much knowledge they may have over you.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Actually, the use of tranny oil to check for such problems is done by a number of seasoned mechanics.

I have heard about it in the Car Show on Sunday mornings as well as a few older mechanics that I have dealt with with other cars.

The only problem is that you have to remember that you have the tranny oil there and should not be pushing the engine until you change the oil.

Is like using the engine flush from walmart (as well as similar, kerosene base).

stan6199
    Quote Originally Posted by rfpa1
    The only problem is that you have to remember that you have the tranny oil there and should not be pushing the engine until you change the oil.
    What do you mean that "should not be pushing the engineuntil you change the oil."

Livn2sk8
    In other words:

Do not pour some tranny fluid in with your oil, to try and diagnose something, and then go race it around town or to the drag strip....

do the tranny thing, then get an oil change when you are done diagnosing it, until then, drive normal....drive like you were drivin' miss daisy

PMMA1997
    Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    Ok so dont do it and keep your ticking. Dont be rude when your new here and you dont know the people you are talking to and how much knowledge they may have over you.
    manybrews
    TGC Member

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:01 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its crap. DONT waste your time. That is a bullshit trick that did nothing when the hicks invented it 50 years ago.

If your engine needs a "flush", its too late... the damage has been done.

Experienced TGC Member
    Manybrews has helped me with a lot of problems but he talks like a mitsu employee and is very knowledgable but he doesnt have an imagination sometimes especially when it comes to performance parts...

And yes the trany fluid will stop the ticking, and no you shouldnt be racing, just normal street driving for the next 100 miles and then change the oil. And only put in like half a quart of tranny fluid, the fluid act like a quasi engine flush/detergent. If your still ticking after that then its not debreee in the lifters, its the lifters themselves that are shot.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Jaxus
    Well, with all due respect, if you are driving a galant and not street racing, trade it in and get a diamante or something.