The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Flywheel

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15
    95GalantS

Flywheel

Does anyone know if they make an aluminum flywheel for a 95 Galant S. If so please let me know. Thanks

95GalantS
    Thanks for your help! But do you know how much it will help my car with power?

xero260
    not much with power. but youll have better acceleration because it will make your shift a little quicker, but not too much

you do NOT want an aluminum flywheel in your car.
    period.
    and lightening the flywheel does NOT make more power.. it just allows the engine to rev up a bit faster.

IllestGalant
    the flywheel is part of the torque converter on the 7g tranny, what are you talking about aluminum flywheel? wouldn't it have to be part of the torque converter then???

Quote Originally Posted by IllestGalant
    the flywheel is part of the torque converter on the 7g tranny, what are you talking about aluminum flywheel? wouldn't it have to be part of the torque converter then???
    only if he has an automatic.
    In which case there is no flywheel at all. He would have a flexplate that attaches to the torque converter, which has enough mass to act as a flywheel.

however, the 7th gen does have manuals available (unlike the 8th gen), so he could very well have a flywheel.

although i will say again, you do NOT want an aluminum flywheel in anything but a professional race car.

and why exactly would he not want an aluminum flywheel in anything except a pro race car??

Quote Originally Posted by sabzi5858
    and why exactly would he not want an aluminum flywheel in anything except a pro race car??
    You WANT mass on a daily driver, and aluminum does not have the longevity needed to survive in a daily driver.
    so really, there is not much of a reason to use anything but the stock one.
    the car doesnt have enough HP to be of any consequence, and its a 4 cylinder, which is an engine design that naturally vibrates quite a bit. The heavy mass of the flywheel eliminates a LOT of the vibration.

Experienced TGC Member
    Damn, got beat to the old " Because manybrews says so" line.. j/k
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

HiperSilver
    you can get a flywheel that is designed for daily driving yet maintain its stength and not affecting the revs that much...fidenza makes some really great ones...i dont see why you would mod a flywheel unless u got power to back it up

ablythe
    Don't waste your money on a flywheel. You'd be better served by spending the money in your engine.

ABlythe
    Dallas, TX
    "If you live here, I can fix your G!"

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    Quote Originally Posted by sabzi5858
    You WANT mass on a daily driver, and aluminum does not have the longevity needed to survive in a daily driver.
    so really, there is not much of a reason to use anything but the stock one.
    the car doesnt have enough HP to be of any consequence, and its a 4 cylinder, which is an engine design that naturally vibrates quite a bit. The heavy mass of the flywheel eliminates a LOT of the vibration.
    i have a lot to say about this, let me start by saying i have a 4g63t, with a fidanza flywheel installed, which weighs less than 9 lbs, i am not the only one with this installed. although there is a lot of debate as to how benificial it is to a turbo car, i have never heard anyone debate that it is undoubtably benificial on a n/a car. the fidanza flywheel is pretty well constructed, and i have heard of no problems with it and longevity. the flywheel has nothing to do with dampening vibration, only the crank pulley does that, the balance shaft and engine mounts lessen the amount of vibrations you feel, but a flywheel does not eliminate any vibration. parhaps if it were machined incorrectly, it could cause increased vibration, but fidanza generally has good quality control, except for maybe the step height issue. also, let me quote Road Race Engineering, as they are pretty well known as reputable in the dsm communtiy,
    "We are now carrying aluminum flywheels. Aluminum flywheels have a steel friction surface that can be replaced when you do your next clutch job. A stock flywheel weighs in at about 19 lbs. Our lightened stock ones are 14 to 14.5 lbs. That 5 lbs alone is enough to feel a difference. Aluminum flywheels weigh less than 9 lbs for DSMs. Now you are talking. You are using less power to spin the flywheel and now have more power available to move your car down the road.

Lots of people freak out about any "theoretical" drivability issues. They are wrong, it's all good. They are not too light for street use, they won't break apart, they are stepped correctly for ACT and CFDF clutches, On a 80 hp honda you could go too light, but not on anything with enough power to pull the skin off pudding. You will have to compensate a little in your launching technique, a little higher launch rpm will be necessary. Your shifts will be better with the engine rpm now better matching the next gear. These are SFI certified.

For 89-99 Turbo FWD and AWD cars only.
    Aluminum Flywheel $390
    Replacement Friction Surface $50 "

the aluminum flywheel they are referring to happens to be a fidanza flywheel as well. let me finish by stating that it is not recommended to lighten the stock flywheel, because it may lower its structural integrity, and the flywheel may fly apart. this is not the issue with aluminum flywheels, atleast not that of fidanza.

95GalantS
    Thanks everyone for your opinions, im not sure if i will get one or not.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sabzi5858)</div><div class='quotemain'>

i have a lot to say about this, let me start by saying i have a 4g63t, with a fidanza flywheel installed, which weighs less than 9 lbs, i am not the only one with this installed. Â*although there is a lot of debate as to how benificial it is to a turbo car, i have never heard anyone debate that it is undoubtably benificial on a n/a car. Â*the fidanza flywheel is pretty well constructed, and i have heard of no problems with it and longevity. Â*the flywheel has nothing to do with dampening vibration,</div>
    of course it does. the lighter flywheels allow for more crank slowing between power pulses due to dropped inertia.
    if the mass wasnt important, no manufacturer would use it!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>

only the crank pulley does that, the balance shaft and engine mounts lessen the amount of vibrations you feel, but a flywheel does not eliminate any vibration. </div>
    the crank pulley dampens harmonic crankshaft vibration, NOT vibration caused from the acceleration and deceleration of the crankshaft.
    and the balance shafts counter primary and secondary vibration, although they cant eliminate it due to the fact that the vibration levels change with load and RPM, and the balance shafts cannot dynamically change their weight.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> parhaps if it were machined incorrectly, it could cause increased vibration, but fidanza generally has good quality control, except for maybe the step height issue. Â*also, let me quote Road Race Engineering, as they are pretty well known as reputable in the dsm communtiy, Â*
    "We are now carrying aluminum flywheels. Aluminum flywheels have a steel friction surface that can be replaced when you do your next clutch job. A stock flywheel weighs in at about 19 lbs. Our lightened stock ones are 14 to 14.5 lbs. That 5 lbs alone is enough to feel a difference. Aluminum flywheels weigh less than 9 lbs for DSMs. Now you are talking. You are using less power to spin the flywheel and now have more power available to move your car down the road.</div>

the ONLY advantage of a lighter flywheel is increase crankshaft acceleration. there is no added "power" that can be transmitted through it, as the flywheel has no bearing on torque throughput.
    a faster revving engine can be nice, but mostly its the hassles that come with the ultra light flywheel that are why they are a poor choice on a daily driver.

Lots of people freak out about any "theoretical" drivability issues. They are wrong, it's all good. They are not too light for street use, they won't break apart, they are stepped correctly for ACT and CFDF clutches, Â*On a 80 hp honda you could go too light, but not on anything with enough power to pull the skin off pudding. You will have to compensate a little in your launching technique, a little higher launch rpm will be necessary. Your shifts will be better with the engine rpm now better matching the next gear. These are SFI certified.
    </div>

i guess thats why EVERY lightened aftermarket flywheel ive ever installed for people ive had to remove at the customers expense, as they hated the way the car drove.
    of course, thats a personal opinion.

the aluminum flywheel they are referring to happens to be a fidanza flywheel as well. Â*let me finish by stating that it is not recommended to lighten the stock flywheel, because it may lower its structural integrity, and the flywheel may fly apart. Â*this is not the issue with aluminum flywheels, atleast not that of fidanza.</div>
    and once again, aluminum is not recommended for most people in a daily driver.
    the normal abuse they take usually overheats an aluminum flywheel FAR quicker than a cast iron one.
    which is exactly why manufacturers dont install them from the factory. cast iron is more reliable.

of course an aluminum flywheel CAN survive.. but this is one of those "mods" that really falls under the "useless on the street" side of things.