The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Distributor cap

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    stormcruiser

Distributor cap

My car is kinda old and I heard someone mentioning that rust and other unburned stuff remains in the distributor cap and make a car to lose hp. So I am thinking now might be a good time to get a distributor cap....

now the question is what brand and where to get em?

Anyone know any website that sells cap for 7g?

Will buying the cap help me to find some of the hp that I have lost or do I need to get a distributor as well?

ablythe
    Borg Warner makes a distributor cap, #C786 $20.99.

Also, Borg Warner also makes the distributor rotor, #D734 $10.69.

These are prices from O'Reilly Auto Parts. Napa and Autozone should carry them too for a similar price.

ABlythe
    Dallas, TX
    "If you live here, I can fix your G!"

stormcruiser
    wow thanks~.....but Since I have never used them before...what are the qualities of these items? below or above OEM quality?

ablythe
    They are made to meet or exceed manufacturers specifications. Some hardliner mitsu parts guys will tell you to buy nothing but mitsubishi parts. But in reality, these cars are only worth a few thousand dollars in most cases. Through in a 100k or 150k miles and some hail damage and now your car is worth $1,500. But to be honest with you, in some cases they are right. But my car has a Borg Warner cap and rotor and they work fine for me.

If I was driving a $45,000 BMW, Mercedes or Lexus, then I would be a factory NAZI. :mg:

Just my 2 cents.

Ablythe
    Dallas, TX
    '96 Galant S
    "If you live in Dallas, I can fix your G!"

The Borg Warner cap does not fit flush on my A1 Cardone remanufactured 95 Galant S distributor. There are raised edges on the housing where the screws go in.The Borg Warner cap does not allow for the raised edges thus causing a gap between the cap and housing. The Beck Arnley cap has the same problem. Also the rotor is supposed to fit on one position only. The Borg Warner rotor fits on three positions.
    Last edited by lttldavid; 05-11-2010 at 11:08 PM

There is a gasket that goes between the cap and housing.

classy.