The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 89 Galant Probs

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3
    ramell86

89 Galant Probs

Hey i am new to the forums and i just bought a 89 Galant GS. anyways, occasionally when i try to start it, it wont even try to crank over.....you hear just a click and then nothing. I dont know to much about cars but i figure it could just be the old battery or something. Is this right....or is it something more serious?

Also, sometimes when i shift into reverse (its a 5 speed). It gives the horrible sounds like the clutch wasn't disengaged, even though it is. What could be the problem here?

thanks for the help

paspasero
    As far as the clicking of the starter, you just either need a jump or recharge your car battery with a charger. The clicking noise is from the starter soleniod, it's not getting enough voltage to engage the flywheel. If after you recharge the battery successfully or jump started the car and it still makes the noise then your starter is bad.

The syncros for the reverse gear might be shot, but that's the worst case! Give the engine a little gas with the foot down on the clutch and shift it into reverse, you might just have to match the speed of the engine with the tranny.

Goodluck!

ramell86
    thanks......will try