The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I4 timing belt & balance shaft belt replacement

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    markw

I4 timing belt & balance shaft belt replacement

Hi,

My name is Mark and I'm new here, looking for info on a 01 Galant ES 4 cylinder.

I've been volunteered to work on a family member's car. It's coming up on 60K and I've been reading up on doing timing belt and balance shaft belt. I've done a timing belt change on my Civic and a cam swap on my Formula so I think I'm probably up to the task on this Galant.

The service manual shows a few mitsu specific tools. Are they must haves? Anyone in the DC metro area that would like to rent these tools to me?

MD998738: Adjusting Screw
    MD998767: Tensioner Wrench
    MB991367: Special Spanner

Any "gotchas" I should look out for?

If I have the time I might snap some pics as I go for a mini-tutorial.

Thanks,

MarkW
    01 Galant ES (by marriage)

u 'gotcha' have your ass to the dealer, so they can replace the timing belt!! thats one of the few things that you should leave to the dealer upon changng the t. belt!!! - - -many members on here will agree w/ me!!!

should the owner of the galant choose not to do so, then good luck on changing it yourself, yo!
    Semper Fi'

markw
    Thanks for the warning but I like to turn my own wrenches. The procedure in the service manual doesn't seem impossible. Surely someone has done it on their own. I'll at least have a look before I say I can't do it.

MarkW

Faction
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(markw)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks for the warning but I like to turn my own wrenches. Â*The procedure in the service manual doesn't seem impossible. Â*Surely someone has done it on their own. Â*I'll at least have a look before I say I can't do it.

MarkW</div>

im with you bro, i also like to turn my own wrenches!

then maybe u can give mark some insight on what he needs to know before changing the t.belt, faction!!

sure, it can be done, but tell u what, ask manybrews, he's a long time mitsu. tech and knows all about this, so wait til' he replies to this!
    Semper Fi'

GalantSS
    It's diffcult, not impossible if you have some kind of knowledge of engines, I've done it on my 2000 es. Just turn the engine till you have it at TDC then mark everything and make sure none of the gears move. I also didn't have to use any of those tools you mention, just take your time and don't rush

markw
    Now we're talking. I knew some folks had to have done it. I work really slow the first time because I want to do it right. I'll have more questions when I get it apart. And I'll try to grab some pics while I'm there.

nrgizeman
    hey bro. i just hit 60k and i tried changing my timing belt. problem i had was removing engine mount and then lifting up the engine a bit. the dealer said that thats the only way to access the belts. if you have all the tools such as engine lifter, then you be fine. have fun, but i would not recommended. myself is heading to the dealer next week or so. its charging me $300.

id recommend against it.
    Most mechanics cant even do it without major problems. (and trust me, this is something I know about).

Theres far to many little issues to worry about for me to list here.

markw
    Quote Originally Posted by nrgizeman
    hey bro. i just hit 60k and i tried changing my timing belt. problem i had was removing engine mount and then lifting up the engine a bit. the dealer said that thats the only way to access the belts. if you have all the tools such as engine lifter, then you be fine. have fun, but i would not recommended. myself is heading to the dealer next week or so. its charging me $300.
    I'm fine lifting the motor. Had to do the same to slip in the long tube headers on my Formula.

markw
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    id recommend against it.
    Most mechanics cant even do it without major problems. (and trust me, this is something I know about).
    I already knew your stance on this subject from searching the forums. And I appreciate your warning but as I say, I like to turn my own wrenches. I at least need to see for myself before giving up.

It seems odd to me that on the boards/lists of other car enthusiasts (DSM, Mustang, F-Body, Acura, Honda), folks are diving into all kinds of work themselves but here it's so different.

Anyway, it will be a few weeks but I'll post back here with how things turn out. Whether I decide it's too daunting or whether I get it done.

GalantSS
    Just to let you know you won't need an engine lift, all you need to do is losen 3 of the engine and trans mounts (front under radiator,back,and the sideone completely off) then jack the engine from underneath. Ohh, remember to take off the flywheel pulley before you jack the engine. The only reason people on this board dont advise of doing it yourself is because most people don't know what they are doing and our engines have very precise settings. If you ever question youself about doing it DON"T take manybrews advice b/c he is the master of advice for our engines.

im just trying to avoid probable issues.
    those being 1)bent valvetrain parts, 2)incorrectly timed balance shafts (causing vibration), 3)incorrectly adjusted belt tension, and 4)failure to get the car to run!

if you think you can tackle it, more power too you.

I WILL reiterate that in 11 years of fixing these, Ive seen about 1 car a month that has had the belt incorrectly installed by all kinds of people... including supposed "professionals".
    it is definatly NOT brain surgery, by any means. but its not a 2.3 liter ford engine, either.

markw
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    I WILL reiterate that in 11 years of fixing these, Ive seen about 1 car a month that has had the belt incorrectly installed by all kinds of people... including supposed "professionals".
    All the more reason to at least have a look for myself instead of just handing off to someone at a shop.

What I've gathered here is that I need to make it clear to my sister in-law that this job if done improperly could result in significant engine damage. If it was my car I would definitely do it myself. I kinda hope I get to do it, feels like a challenge.

GalantSS
    "What I've gathered here is that I need to make it clear to my sister in-law that this job if done improperly could result in significant engine damage. If it was my car I would definitely do it myself. I kinda hope I get to do it, feels like a challenge."

Exactly the way I felt. GOOD LUCK!

yep, good luck wrench turner - -
    Semper Fi'