The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brand new 2003 Galant interior leaks. Need help!

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    reedrosa

Brand new 2003 Galant interior leaks. Need help!

Purchased a used 2001 Galant from a local dealer and had problems with it from day one with water coming inside the bottom of the the rear doors when it rained. Traded it back in last week on a brand new 2003 Galant with only 16 miles. Took the new car home that night and hosed it off and it leaked water in under the rear doors, the same as the 2001.

My driveway is on a slight hill and if I back it in it does not leak. I am very angry because it should not leak at all. The dealership has it back now and says they will fix it, but it seems like a design flaw to me, affecting both a 2001 and 2003 car. No other cars we have ever owned have leaked when parked here.

Has anyone else had this problem or known of someone who has? Can it be fixed?

My dealership is talking with Mitsubishi now to see if any new recalls or service bulletins are coming out, but I have not heard anything yet.

What are my options? Thanks for any advice.

escoson
    my driveway is like a mountain and i never have that problem :?:

Senior TGC Member
    My car never had that problem.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

J
    you mean on the rear door bottom?

i get some water pooling in there. but it never comes all the way inside. it's just kinda stays on that painted part on the very bottom part above the sill.

it's also a tiny bit. like 1 paper towel would wipe it up.

:?

reedrosa
    Yes I get the water pooling on the bottom rear door sills, but after about 1 minute the water starts coming inside and if it continues will soak the entire rear floorboard carpet.

my 2k doesn't have that problem.

but yea seeing that its a new car, i say that you take it back to the dealer and get them mitsu tech's in the back to figure out a way to get it from not leaking.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

J
    might be that rubber weather stipping on the bottom of your door panel is missing?

feel on the bottom of the door panel, under the plastic, do you feel the rubber thing? maybe it's torn or something. i think you can get rubber like that from an auto parts store.

I got a 2001 but never happen to me.......
    2001 Galant ES I4
    Injen RD CAI
    Kamikaze Headers
    Brospeed Prosport Muffler
    Brembo X-drilled/Slotted Rotors
    Progress Springs
    KYB AGX Adjustables
    Racing X Headlights
    Smoked Tails
    Custom Grill
    Titanium Limo Tint
    MOMO Shift Knob
    Tenzo R Mean-6 18"
    JBL 600.1
    2 JL 12W3 D4 in topfire custom box

My ride: http://photos.yahoo.com/nrg_neo

I have got an 01 and it hasent happend to me either, but let us know if there is a recall maybe more members may have it. Get all you can for free from them they HATE giving away free service.
    Join TGC NY, Click Image to enter

Faction
    i have an 01 and when i hose it down, only water comes up on the door sill, not a bad thing at all, plus i use a pressure washer to wash the car, forget the clay bar

reedrosa

2003 Interior Leaks - Update

Thanks for everyone's responses. Got the car back from the dealer yesterday. They said they had to seal the 'water deflectors' in the rear doors as they were tilting around and allowing water to drain in towards the car. I have water tested it several times and I think the problem is sloved. I hope. Now when i water test it the door sills do not even get wet, where as before they would be as wet as the outside of the car.

I think this is a problem with all Galants but must have just showed up on mine due to me parking on a hill. Hope no one else has this happen but if so recommend your body shop check out these water deflectors as a possible casue.

I will post again if the problem reoccurs.