The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HOW TO: Install Lowering Springs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

HOW TO: Install Lowering Springs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tools Required:

14mm socket, 17mm socket
    Socket wrench
    Breaker Bar(unless your muscular, unlike me)
    Car Jack
    Jack stands
    Spring compressor(a must if u want to do it safely)
    Vice Grips

Front:

1) Jack up the car
    2) Take off the bolt that holds the strut onto the fork
    3) Take off the lower bolt that holds the fork onto the control arm. you will need 2 wrenches.
    4) The endlink, hard to explain w/o pics, its the only thing holding the fork up as of now, has 2 ball joints w/ a metal piece between the 2. You can see the bolt, but you will turn it forever and nothing will happen unless u stop the piece between teh for and the endlink. If urs is like mine, the piece between the fork and endlink is round so take a pair of vice grips and clap it down so it does not move. Next just take off the bolt.
    5) To take off the enlink you have to unscrew it if it does not just pull out
    6) The fork should be free now so pull it off of the strut. If it is not free to pull off, spray some WD-40 on it and pull(mine came right off)
    7) Pop the hood and take off the 3 bolts on the strut bar and the strut should just fall off
    Cool Take your spring compressors and put them on the springs and compress it enought untill there is not tension on the top bolt
    9) Take your vice grips and clamp down on the top part of the rod
    10) Take a crescent wrench and take off the top bolt
    11) Disassemble the spring and strut(remember which way everything goes) and take out the bumper stop(yellow plasticy thingy)
    12) Cut 1/2 of the fatter part off of the bumper stop
    13) Re-assemble the strut and new springs in the way you took everything apart
    Back is easy

Rear:

1) Take off the bolt that holds the strut on(easy to see)
    2) Either take out your backseat, or fold it down. Take off the plastic piece that is in the corner.
    3) Take off the rubber piece that is covering the hole(again, in plain site)
    4) Take off both 14mm bolts on each side of the strut and the strut should fall off
    5) Take the strut assembly apart and re-assemble it in the same manner as the fronts
    Really not that hard of a project, but will be frustrating the first time through. BTW I do not take any responsibility if u screw your car up, mkay?

If anyone has any pics of the 7g wheel well(w/o tire of course) please email them to me or give me a PM on TGC

Heres mine before:

And After w/ Eibach SportLines and stock Struts:

-Seth
    7g for life!

brandon
    Nice post!

Experienced TGC Member
    Kudos Seth, well done indeed, says I.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

TGC Regular
    Did you change the springs and keep your struts stock or did you get a kit?

when is we gon be free????

im still on stock struts but have the eibach sport line kit
    7g for life!

GalantGuy96
    it seems realy simple

teetaw1213

springs

hey i cant get into the tutorial is something wrong

hey seth, the link doesnt seem to work, bud.

brandon
    Shitty I was hoping to do this sometime on the weekend or next week!

galants.com sites are down temporarily...it'll be back soon
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

Quote Originally Posted by brandon
    Shitty I was hoping to do this sometime on the weekend or next week!
    lol, same here..i should be receiving them by saturday...

brandon
    Hey isn't this exactly what's on the tutorial? I rented a compressor today so hopefully by the end of the week I'll have my Eibachs in.

http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php...=spring+install

How to install springs on your 94-98 Mitsubishi Galant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tools Required:

14mm socket, 17mm socket
    Socket wrench
    Breaker Bar(unless your muscular, unlike me)
    Car Jack
    Jack stands
    Spring compressor(a must if u want to do it safely)
    Vice Grips

Front:

1) Jack up the car
    2) Take off the bolt that holds the strut onto the fork
    3) Take off the lower bolt that holds the fork onto the control arm. you will need 2 wrenches.
    4) The endlink, hard to explain w/o pics, its the only thing holding the fork up as of now, has 2 ball joints w/ a metal piece between the 2. You can see the bolt, but you will turn it forever and nothing will happen unless u stop the piece between teh for and the endlink. If urs is like mine, the piece between the fork and endlink is round so take a pair of vice grips and clap it down so it does not move. Next just take off the bolt.
    5) To take off the enlink you have to unscrew it if it does not just pull out
    6) The fork should be free now so pull it off of the strut. If it is not free to pull off, spray some WD-40 on it and pull(mine came right off)
    7) Pop the hood and take off the 3 bolts on the strut bar and the strut should just fall off
    8) Take your spring compressors and put them on the springs and compress it enought untill there is not tension on the top bolt
    9) Take your vice grips and clamp down on the top part of the rod
    10) Take a crescent wrench and take off the top bolt
    11) Disassemble the spring and strut(remember which way everything goes) and take out the bumper stop(yellow plasticy thingy)
    12) Cut 1/2 of the fatter part off of the bumper stop
    13) Re-assemble the strut and new springs in the way you took everything apart
    Back is easy

Rear:

1) Take off the bolt that holds the strut on(easy to see)
    2) Either take out your backseat, or fold it down. Take off the plastic piece that is in the corner.
    3) Take off the rubber piece that is covering the hole(again, in plain site)
    4) Take off both 14mm bolts on each side of the strut and the strut should fall off
    5) Take the strut assembly apart and re-assemble it in the same manner as the fronts
    Really not that hard of a project, but will be frustrating the first time through. BTW I do not take any responsibility if u screw your car up, mkay?

If anyone has any pics of the 7g wheel well(w/o tire of course) please email them to me or give me a PM on TGC

Heres mine before:

And After w/ Eibach SportLines and stock Struts:

-Seth

thats it, pictures coming soon
    7g for life!

brandon
    Sweet Seth, you rock. :thumbsup:

cruising60

How is ride?

Now that you've lowered your G, how is your ride. Is it same as it was or is it more bumpy. Did you have to adjust the camber? I'm thinking of lowering the rear only, would you think that would be ok without touching the front? Your g looks great lowered.

brandon
    When I had coilovers in the ride was pretty shitty, but I did have it slammed. With the Eibachs the ride is sweet, pretty damn close to stock as far as bumpiness goes. Cornering is great, didn't adjust camber or anything and tires appear to be wearing normally.

If you lower only the back it'll probably look a little odd, but don't quote me on that.

Ryan4g64
    where did you happen to get your coils? ebay?

seth, just curious, but how are the stock struts holding up, and how much drop?
    -Travis

My Car

still holdin up, but its startin to feel a bit more bouncy than before. May just be because I have been driving my dads 4x4 2k3 accord for the last 5 weeks. but it rides pretty nice and I think it was about a 2" drop all the way around, no wheel gap at all...
    7g for life!

brandon
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(97Galant)</div><div class='quotemain'>where did you happen to get your coils? ebay?</div>

Mine were Weapon R coilovers. Bought em from a shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast