The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing Belt, Now is my car in trouble??

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    errika

Timing Belt, Now is my car in trouble??

I need help!

I had my timing belt changed yesterday and now my car feels sooooooo different! It 's like really loud, and having trouble changing gears? It sounds like a damn Diesel truck, when i'm pressing on the gas! Is this normal? What are the after effects of changing a timing belt? SOmeone please help, the stupid mitsu dealership service shop is closed until monday and now i feel like they really messed something up!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Erika

It doesn't sound good E. I remember manybrews saying that if they got one of the balnace shafts out of phase you'd get those kind of symptoms. And it was a dealership that did it? Damn, we must have the only mitsu tech that knows his ass from third base on our board. Now if manybrews only made housecalls.

BTW, I wouldn't drive it any further than necessary to minimize any potential damage.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>It doesn't sound good E. I remember manybrews saying that if they got one of the balnace shafts out of phase you'd get those kind of symptoms. And it was a dealership that did it? Damn, we must have the only mitsu tech that knows his ass from third base on our board. Now if manybrews only made housecalls.

BTW, I wouldn't drive it any further than necessary to minimize any potential damage.</div>

I agree
    I had a problem with the horn in my car 2 years
    ago it took the stoopid tech 3 times to replace it correctly, as it kept on blowing...finally they gave it to another tech and all is fine 'cept for the horn doesn't sound like the rest of the g's...
    it might be cause of where it got relocated, or maybe it's a montero horn
    they mounted it higher up, along the side of the engine bay near the fuse box, as they said the last one was too low, and water kept on shorting it out
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

GalantSS
    Definitely doesn't sound good. From what I've read if the balance shaft gets out of sequence with the crank then you have problems. Like shaking, loss of power, hesitation, etc. I would definitely not drive it until you get it checked out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MrJaYdEeOnE)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>It doesn't sound good E. I remember manybrews saying that if they got one of the balnace shafts out of phase you'd get those kind of symptoms. And it was a dealership that did it? Damn, we must have the only mitsu tech that knows his ass from third base on our board. Now if manybrews only made housecalls.

BTW, I wouldn't drive it any further than necessary to minimize any potential damage.</div>

I agree
    ago it took the stoopid tech 3 times to replace it correctly, as it kept on blowing...finally they gave it to another tech and all is fine 'cept for the horn doesn't sound like the rest of the g's...
    they mounted it higher up, along the side of the engine bay near the fuse box, as they said the last one was too low, and water kept on shorting it out</div>

Shoot Jay, this is way off topic, but I think they lied to you. The stock horn is low, down by the front wheel. The horn for the remote alarm is already mounted up by the fusebox. Sounds like they just took your horn wire and tapped into the alarm horn. That's why yours sounds different I bet. I never had a problem with my stock horn shorting out...

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

errika
    Thank guys!

Ya I was thinking the same thing so I havn't driven it all weekend. I have to take it back tomorrow bright and early and fucking telling their ass off! One thing I can't stand is you take it to a "professional" and it comes out more messed up than when you took it in! I swear i'm soo pissed off! Anywaz I will take it in tomorrow and let you all know. One thing for sure i'm getting half of my money back!

They messed with the wrong mexican!

Erika

Senior TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by errika
    Thank guys!

Ya I was thinking the same thing so I havn't driven it all weekend. I have to take it back tomorrow bright and early and fucking telling their ass off! One thing I can't stand is you take it to a "professional" and it comes out more messed up than when you took it in! I swear i'm soo pissed off! Anywaz I will take it in tomorrow and let you all know. One thing for sure i'm getting half of my money back!

They messed with the wrong mexican!

Erika
    Indeed...I dunno about your dealership, but mine...you ain't getting nothing back, not even a penny. But, their labor is under warranty so they'll have to break it open and put it all back together for free, as many times as it takes to fix it. Not without a fight of course...but they'll do it
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJaYdEeOnE
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    It doesn't sound good E. I remember manybrews saying that if they got one of the balnace shafts out of phase you'd get those kind of symptoms. And it was a dealership that did it? Damn, we must have the only mitsu tech that knows his ass from third base on our board. Now if manybrews only made housecalls.

BTW, I wouldn't drive it any further than necessary to minimize any potential damage.
    I agree
    they mounted it higher up, along the side of the engine bay near the fuse box, as they said the last one was too low, and water kept on shorting it out
    Shoot Jay, this is way off topic, but I think they lied to you. The stock horn is low, down by the front wheel. The horn for the remote alarm is already mounted up by the fusebox. Sounds like they just took your horn wire and tapped into the alarm horn. That's why yours sounds different I bet. I never had a problem with my stock horn shorting out...

Chip
    I dunno...cause i never saw the horn up there by the fuse box until after they fixed it
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

errika
    Ok should I shoot someone!! They picked up my car this morning! And I just received a call, "ohh theres nothing wrong with it. We notice nothing!" I'm like WHAT THE fUCK! How can you not notice it! It went in a smooth car, now it feels like i'm driving a freaking truck. Ok so what do I do, i did mention I thought it was the balance shaft that got of sequence. They just drove it around, and not noticing shit! Ok I wanna cry! MY CAR!!!

Erika :cry:

Senior TGC Member
    You could purposely drive it prolonged periods, hope something breaks, and then they'll be forced to break it open. As long as it's not tripping lights I guess the dealership is going to say everything is OK.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

definatly a balance shaft outta time with symptoms like that.

try another dealer (preferably one thats been around a while). See what they say.

GTZ
    I was driving the other day and all the sudden I heard something squealing under the hood, I pretty sure it was 1 of the belts. Would it be the timing belt? And if it is will they replace it under extended warranty?
    Thanks