The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question on turbo for I4 galant

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 65
    2003galantes

Question on turbo for I4 galant

Hey everyone im brand new to these boards so i need a little help please. I was previously a member of the 3rd gen eclipse boards so i know a little since these cars seem to run pretty much the same. I just traded in my 2001 spyder gt for a 2003 galant es yesterday.To keep it simple thesize of the convertible wasnt cutting it for my wife and i and with kids in the up coming future i needed something bigger. I wasnt really to into the gtz cause the v6 to me was a little overated in these cars plus of the added 300 lb added weight to the car so i figured id save the extra money and insurance and get the 4 banger. the v6 was a pain in the but in my eclipse to do any tuneups as i had to remove the plenum to get at the other 3 plugs and just wanted a easy 4 banger i could throw a turbo on. So i know there were a couple of eclipse with turbos on the eclipse board but they all seem to have a problems with them..i think it was not running good on boost and a bunch of members kept fucking up their cars. What do ya guys know that works for this car. I dont want to make it a drag racer but id rather have it do mid 14"s than mid 17's. plus i saw a few members with a nice evo style hood and body kit and i think im pretty much in love with that look.So any info you guys can give me to help get this puppy moving faster id appreciate it since you probaly already know out there what works for this car and what doesnt. Im also in South florida so if any buddy knows of any shops down here that are good i think i still have like 3 grand left on my visa to get this car moving. Thanx in advance

Marco

J
    welcome. search these threads and customizing/performance threads...you'll find all you need to know...

welcome again! 8)

you are in the right place buddy.
    This is turbo forum, and i will be glad to help u.

My number 1 recomendation if u go turbo is to get forged, lower compression pistons.
    I blew piston #4 in my car before, and it was a pain.
    Ever since I went with JE pistons there is no more problems with knocking.

Make sure u get lots of fuel upgrades such as (in my case 460cc injectors with warlbro 255 lph , and vortex fmu 8:1, and Apex'i safc works the best cuz it is easy to get in 12:1 air to duel ratio when tuning).

Get itrdone the first place, get external wastgate so u can set it at low boost, go with the FM intercooler, and don't forget to change your exhaust.

I know everything is very expansive, but with some used parts u should be able to make a descent setup @ descent price.

Turbo is your choice - i went with just small 16 g, because of fitting issues. Get 2g (not 1g cuz they are famous for cracking) turbo eclipse/talon exhaust manifold, since it is a bolt-on).

Get the boost and EGT gauge - very crucial.

That should be it.

Get this shit tuned and u will love it.

Defeniately it is not a drag setup or anything, but certanly with no doubts it is the perfect street setup.

I dynoyed @ 4.5 psi 181whp with 165 FT/LB at the wheels.

Only at 4.5 psi u will get very strong power at the freeway because rpms get little higher, and exhaust gases have enough flow.
    Check out my ride at:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/djgalant

The only 8g west cost 4g64 Turboed Galant.

2003galantes

thank you so much for the welcome to the club , its kinda funny that i have the i4 now since i knew so much about the 6g72. i even still have my custom rpw header system w/ hi-flo cat still in my garage that i took off my 3g. Ive been still getting numerous PM's from my fellow 3g neweclipse.org members to sell them my system. but i still havent got the nerve yet to part with it. i original paid 600 for the first set of headers from rpw a while back and even spent another 500 to have it made to fit my car and the hi-flo cat that i added inline with it in the center exhaust pipe after i had the shop remove all the resonators in the exhaust.So i guess now its a new project to start. I see that RIPP finally made a nice setup for the i4 at $3200 thats not bad for the power they are putting out .In your guys opinion is it worth getting RIPPS system or trying to find parts to make my your own turbo. I just dont want to end up with a mickey mouse turbo kit. Is there any threads that list exactly what is needed like an a-z turbo kit for the 4g64. If not that would be a good thread to make. Thanx everybody for all your input

http://4g64.150m.com/turbo.html
    good web site about turbocharging 4g64 engines.

I don't really know much about superchargers myself, went with the turbo mydelf and I am very happy with it.

Ask others supercharger owners what thy think about it but I am defeniately big Turbo fan. Of course if i had a v6 i would consider a supercharger also, but honestely I never really heard of any big numbers produced by supercharger on any 4 cylinder car.

Supercharger is driven by a pulley that is inline with the crank , while turbo is driven by exhaust gases. With no doubts -both turbo and supercharger will increase hp and torque numbers.
    Do some research and I am defenitely sure that u will know what will work better for u.
    Good Luck.
    Check out my ride at:

Black Magic
    if some one wants to go turbo how much should they expect to pay on parts and labor

Moosh
    $2000-$4000 depending on the parts you choose and if they are brand new or used.

Labor could be cheaper if you have a friend that can do the job, otherwise it could cost more than $1000 to have a turbo setup in the galant with custom piping, changed ECU and tuned fuel system. I heard from other people that the supercharger system is easier to do because it is a complete kit.

Faction
    welcome to the club, since you said you're in florida....im glad you are! I'd like you to join TGC Florida as its growing....just PM me your name and i'll put it on the website.....http://florida.galants.com/

Black Magic
    which would make an i4 go the fastest turbo or the sds without blowing your engine of course?

8ggalant
    id say thats all relative...they can both "BLOW" yer engine...u jusst have to make sure u take all preventive measures possible...remember yer engine didnt come from the factory turbo'd or supercharged...so yer engine may not like boosting verry much...now...u can spend the 3+ grand and get the sds or u can invest that in lower compresion, port polishing the head, upgrade fuel system and get a turbo and intercooler...dont forget someone to install...if yer somewhat mechanically inclined or have a mechanic friend u can do some of it yerself w/out havin to worry about labor charges...all the peicies of my kit including engine rebuild(low comp pistons and head work) , turbo, intercooler , injectors , fuel pump, fpr, safc and egt is gonna run me about 3500-4000 max...should be way less....so i'd go turbo...my .02 c

2003galantes
    sounds like turbo is gonna be the way to go.

so far i got an intake(its funny but the injen intake for v6 gt eclipse fit perfect)
    got nice 20% tintall all around
    got custom 2 tone leather installed in car
    got my zenon lamps and fog bulbs
    already debaged the ES off

not to bad since i only had the car for 3 days now and it only has 80miles on it.

next mod :

gonna try and do the clear corner mod.

then buy the r34 skyline wing from erubini
    then lowering springs ( so whats best for this car..ride quality and height)

then some 18" rims( probaly gonna make a few calls see if anything is hot and they wanna sell it cheap)

then turbo kit ( gonna have to wait i gues around 1500 miles to break the car in first)

but the first thing is find out why the engines shakes so goddam much when idiling and going around 45.

#1 could be cheap gas from the dealer ( still original tank of gas)
    #2 could be something to do with a/c compressor ( dont know why )
    #3 could be because its only got 80 miles on it ( but its brand new)
    #4 could be because i got a fuckin lemon ( my luck)

cdaw2001ES
    Hey guys, so what you are saying is a 2G eclipse turbo manfoild is a direct bolt on for our 4g64?

i kow the 1G turbo is a direct bolt on

Dependng on which turbo you use I think this one will be the one you'd use. But when ordering it check to see which car it came off of or which one it's meant to go on. reason being. THe 5 speed tranny GS-T manifolds are a little more open than the Automatic. I think that's how it goes. Give me a secong Let me check into that one.
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

cdaw2001ES
    check this out
    Scroll down toward the bottom
    http://www.buschurracing.com/cgi-bin/ez-ca...ay.cgi?2X376545

I thing I'm going to have to drive over there and see If I can get my hands on one of them there ported ones

2003galantes
    WOW, that link to bushurracing is great.We should be able to get everything we need to make our own turbo kit all right there.Does anybody know exactly which exhaust manifold to use?a 1g or a 2g? they have one for a t4 series turbo , a t3/t4 turbo, a 2g oem exhaust manifold ported. plus you can get the piping and everything there. To all you guys out there running turbos ..A parts list of whats needed would be great this way i can start collecting what i need for my kit.I know that some of the i4 2000 eclipses running turbos had some fuel controling problems , how has everybody with the turbo galants worked to fix these issues?..Marco

cdaw2001ES
    Hey DJ
    Didi the fmic requier you to remove the grill, or did you do it, just for the look?

ken inn
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>i kow the 1G turbo is a direct bolt on

Dependng on which turbo you use I think this one will be the one you'd use. But when ordering it check to see which car it came off of or which one it's meant to go on. reason being. THe 5 speed tranny GS-T manifolds are a little more open than the Automatic. I think that's how it goes. Give me a secong Let me check into that one.</div>

actually, the 2g exh manifold is way superior to the 1g(remember, in the 4g63t motors-t/e/l and gvr4, there is only 1g, 90-94 and 2g, 95-99). the 1g manifold will crack in a VERY short time. the 2g manifold has a lot more nickel in it, and also flows better than the 1g, and-get this-costs less. both have the same bolt patterns, the 2g has 10mm holes on each end, and a very small portion of the left side may have to be ground off to fit. no big deal, i long ago converted to the 2g manifold.

i mentioned earlier above - get 2 g exhaust manifold - yes, it just bolts on - but get a gasket with it .

both 1 g and 2g will bolt on .
    Check out my ride at:

That mani will work for both 7 and 8g galants right?

[sorry to sound like a n00b]
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

cdaw2001ES
    I'm tying to get an apointment to get out there, we'll know for sure very soon. I'm going to speak with god

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast